• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is a cambion? What about a yugaloth?

aurin777

First Post
This may sound naive, but I have no idea what these monsters are. I've always been a player and never encountered these things. Can some kind soul fill me in?
~~Brandon

EricNoah

Adventurer
A cambion is essentially a half-demon half-human. There's a cambion statted up in the new Aasimar & Tiefling book from Green Ronin.

Yugoloths are fiends that are neutral evil in nature (just as you have chaotic evil Demons and lawful evil Devils). Older editions sometimes called them daemons. You can find some yugoloths statted out in Manual of the Planes.

Iron_Chef

First Post
A cambion is a male half-human/half-demon, which was introduced in the 1e Monster Manual 2 and updated for 2e. The half-fiend template is the 3e/3.5e equivalent. Female half-demons in 1e were called Alu-Demons (and were half succubus).

Yugoloths are 1e NE daemons (not demons), native to Hades. They are mercenaries in the Blood War, if you subscribe to that cosmology.

"Old school" daemons, demons, demodands and devils can be found in Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors (3.0).

Green Ronin's Book of Fiends 3.5e includes a variant version of daemons as tempters embodying the seven deadly sins. Also the book includes demons and devils, plus unholy warriors as a PC core class.

Last edited:

Jeph

Explorer
Are cambions always male? I seem to remember Koilimilou from Sep's SH being described as a cambion at some point, and I believe she was a half demon umbral fey of some sort. (Or am I totally backwards?)

--Jeff

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
In the 1E AD&D Monster Manual II, page 37, a cambion is described as the male offspring of a demon and a human female. This can be approximated in 3.xE by applying the half-fiend template to a chaotic evil human male character.

Yugaloth is the name of what the creatures previously called daemons were changed to in 2E AD&D. Compare the 1E AD&D Fiend Folio, pages 66 and 69, and Monster Manual II, pages 27 to 31, to the various D&D 3.xE listings under yugaloth.

Edit: I guess getting beaten to the post multiple times is what happens when you take the time to cross reference information and use a spell checker.

Last edited:

aurin777

First Post
Yes, in Sep's SH she was called a cambion, which is what made me ask to begin with :) I appreciate the page numbers, because now I can go look em up.
~~Brandon

DM_Matt

First Post
aurin777 said:
What is a cambion?
~~Brandon

Weeeeeeeeee are the cambions,
my friends <riff>
Weeeeeeeeellllllll keep on fighting
to the eeeeeeeend

We are the cambions
We are the cambions