What Is A Dhampir?

Kaodi

Hero
I am not asking as a matter of definition: obviously a dhampir is the offspring of a human and a vampire.

Rather I am asking: what does that actually mean for the classic case of "vampire as turned human" ? The essence of a vampire is still essentially human as they are made from humans. But it a dhampir a human essence that is only partially transformed during pregnancy or does is it, in a sense, possess the only true vampiric essence, having never been non-vampiric? So is a dhampir rather than being simply a "half-vampire" actually more vampiric than the vampires?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So is a dhampir rather than being simply a "half-vampire" actually more vampiric than the vampires?

Well, that then depends on what you think "more vampiric" is.

The dhampir is taken from Balkan folklore - in that folklore, the dhampir generally just a normal member of the community. They eat like normal humans, and do not generally drink blood, though their blood is usually considered harmful to vampires. They can walk in the daylight, and otherwise live a normal human life. They tend to be extremely long-lived, have some ability to regenerate harm, may have heightened senses, and may have some ability to control animals, but they don't usually have super-strength, the ability to turn into mist/bats, or mesmerize people.

From there, it really depends on who is writing the dhampir story.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I am not asking as a matter of definition: obviously a dhampir is the offspring of a human and a vampire.

Rather I am asking: what does that actually mean for the classic case of "vampire as turned human" ? The essence of a vampire is still essentially human as they are made from humans. But it a dhampir a human essence that is only partially transformed during pregnancy or does is it, in a sense, possess the only true vampiric essence, having never been non-vampiric? So is a dhampir rather than being simply a "half-vampire" actually more vampiric than the vampires?
So, basically, is a dhampir actually more monstrous because it was created and born a monster, rather than a standard vampire who was a basic human but then was turned into a monster later on?

I have no idea. You can do some interesting stories no matter what the interpretation, I think.

Ryujin

Legend
So, basically, is a dhampir actually more monstrous because it was created and born a monster, rather than a standard vampire who was a basic human but then was turned into a monster later on?

I have no idea. You can do some interesting stories no matter what the interpretation, I think.
Like "Blade."

Moonmover

Explorer
My version:
The dhampir straddles the line between the life and undeath. They consequently can see ghosts (because they're partway in their realm already) and they age slowly (because they are out-of-sync with the natural cycle of life and death).

Unlike a vampire, the dhampir has a soul, but that soul is ever in peril. The dhampir does not need blood to sustain themselves, but thirsts for it anyway. They can live as a normal human, albeit an unusually pale and cold-skinned one. In this mode, the dhampir has no special power beyond a normal human, just the constant thirst.

If the dhampir gives in and consumes human blood, then their vampiric traits manifest. The more they drink, the more vampire powers and weaknesses they gain, until they are eventually indistinguishable from a full-blown vampire.

However, even then, they still have a soul and are capable of salvation. An earnestly penitent dhampir, through the classic means of self-purification (prayer, meditation, fasting, abstinence, refusing to drink human blood) may regain their lost humanity (at the cost of their kewl p0werz).

Remove ads