• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is a Rogue to do in an undead-heavy campaign?

PrinceZane

First Post
Hmm... gloves of gravestrike... is that an actual item or an imbued thing? Never seen it before, anyone have stats on it? Changes per day or what?

Psion

Adventurer
PrinceZane said:
Hmm... gloves of gravestrike... is that an actual item or an imbued thing? Never seen it before, anyone have stats on it? Changes per day or what?

It sounds like he's speculating on what a continuous use item with that enchatment would cost per the basic rules in the DMG.

Shadeus

First Post
Some more thoughts:

- Add the Ghost Strike ability to your weapon (Libris Mortis, p. 77); +2 bonus and allows you to sneak attack incorpreal undead

- A level of cleric and take the sacred vengeance feat; +2d6 dmg for all attacks against undead for the round (costs a turn attempt).

Bront

The man with the probe
Ferret said:
There is a feat in MotW(pg 25) that is vaguely related, however it focuses more on rangers and criticals. I f you want to solve the problem with a feat you might be able to alter it to suit your needs.
If it allows you to crit undead, then it allows sneak attack, since they are no longer immune to it.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I really think that you're going to have to either suck it up and face being relatively ineffective against undead or consider changing your character concept.

Thought of the possibility of being a spellthief instead of a straight thief? The extra abilities they can trade sneak attack dice for are not restricted to sneak-attackable targets.

Runesong42

First Post
'K, here is a few of my .02 CDN:

I really like what one guy suggested about a Van Helsing-esque character. By making your Rogue take advantage of the various magical equipment out there (holy water, Alchemist's fire, tanglefoot bags etc.), you could perhaps become some type of inventor, creating new and unusual gadgets with which to battle the undead.

Another concept would be to forget Rogue altogether and ask your DM if you'd be permitted to take the NPC Expert class. Lots of skill points, no sweat if you can't sneak attack undead because now you don't HAVE sneak attack, AND you can pump your Charisma and take Use Magic Device as a skill, even if you're playing 3.0 Rules (which state that UMD is a class-exclusive skill, but Experts can take ANY skill).

If you have it, there is a lovely prestige class in the back of Deities and Demigods called the "Soldier of Light". It would do much undead-killing if your DM would indulge you.

As you may be able to tell, my gaming group is extremely liberal when it comes to making characters; see your DM for details on what you can and can't do. :)

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Get a greatsword and use Power Attack.

There's a feat in Dragon # 310, Precise Strike, that lets you exchange sneak attack dice for a +2/die circumstance bonus to attack on any attack that would qualify as a sneak attack. The wording suggests that you can use it even when the target is immune to the extra damage from a sneak attack (...since it's still delivered, it just doesn't affect the target; like crits).

I also second Skullclan Hunter; the Miniatures Handbook came out JUST AFTER my Birthright rogue leveled, and so I couldn't meet the rest of the preqs to take the class. Boy, I HATE undead.

Brad

Axegrrl

First Post
Skullclan Hunter rules in this situation...

Skullclan Hunter, from Miniatures Handbook.

Multiclass and take one level of cleric, and you're good to go for a rogue PrC that's optimized for undead destruction, with all kinds of *nice* anti-undead defenses (all the way up to immunity to level drain at 10th level). And, you get a benefit that makes your sneak attack effective against undead. And it applies to existing and future sneak attack dice. You also get all-weapons-are-ghost touch as a special ability later on. Combine that with a ring of blinking or a rogue blade from Savage Species, and you're stylin'.

Last edited:

Remove ads