• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is adamantite, and why is it so special?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'll indulge. :p These are all IMC, btw. By default, cold iron works vs. fey, demons, eladrin....silver works vs. lycantrhopes, devils, archons...adamantine works vs. constructs

SILVER is the Blessed Metal of the Moon. Highly skilled weaponsmiths can make versions of this metal that are basically as functional as a steel weapon. Because it is of the moon, it forces a painful reaction when lycanthropes are wounded by it. It is used in many rituals to control water, and is precious to the elves who worship the moon. Regarding it as based on something that changes and flows, rather than being constant, devils and archons find that it is able to dissolve much of their innate protections, especially when pared with good or evil alignment-energies. Silver is also valuable as a currency, due to it's rarity. An upgraded form of Silver is Mythral, which the elves fashion well.

GOLD is the Blessed Metal of the Sun. Highly skilled weaponsmiths can make versions of this metal that are basically as functional as a steel weapon. Such blades hold heat well, and are said to be especially potent when used against water-based elemental creatures or oozes. It is especially potent when opposing the Metal of the Moon (silver), and is effective in piercing illusions and seeing truth in it's reflection. It is sacred to halflings, who live a vagabond life under the watchful gaze of the sun. It is not known to be useful as a weapon, though legend does have it no gold coin hits the ground before a halfling comes to pick it up, so it could be effective summoning magic...anyway, it's also valuable as currency because of it's rarity.

COLD IRON is actually changed to Lodestone IMC, and has magnetic properties. It is the Blessed Metal of the Earth, and highly skilled weaponsmiths can make versions of this metal that are basically as functional as a stell weapon. It is especially effective in opposing electrical energies, and is good for finding other metals and locating forces. It's magnetic properties make it a metal of law, aligning everything according to a well-predicted pattern, and thus it can help weaken some of the chaotic protections of demons, or eladrin, and the fact that it is solid and of the earth helps it overcome the unearthly and illusionary fey. The metal is sacred to the dwarves, who use it to develop their grand technologies. An upgraded version of lodestone is adamantium, which the dwarves use when they need to make sure no one can get through the wall.

CRYSTAL is sacred to gnomes, who have mastered the alchemical process of giving it qualities like Steel. It is the Blessed Metal of Life, since it grows and transforms over time. It is good at housing psionic energies (which the gnomes excel in), and in also making illusions and deceptions (also something gnomes are excellent at).

SidusLupus

First Post
If Mithril is Aluminum, how do you explain the strength properties? Aluminum isnt exactly durable. A chain shirt of aluminum wouldn't do very much to protect you.

Isn't titanium fairly light metal? Adamantine is supposed to be a fairly dense and heavy thing, that's why stuff made from it weighs so much more.

A better conversion might be that mithril is titanium or titanium alloy (strong and light). Make adamantine an alloy of another kind which someone with more chemical experience could suggest. Edit: I remember one, how about Osmium alloy of steel or something.

I'd say it's easier to keep the mythic metals as seperate and try not to make real world comparisons, cause it makes things messy.

On a side note, what color is Adamantine? I've always thought of it as blue for some reason. Might be because I happen to play Everquest.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
On a side note, what color is Adamantine? I've always thought of it as blue for some reason. Might be because I happen to play Everquest.

My adamantite is always a deep gray/black, looking something like metallic coal. It ain't pretty. That's part of the reason elves ain't interested in it. :D

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, harder and heavier than steel, with a high melting point. Platinum would be a good 'Adamantine'.

Titanium for Mithril. Light, strong, flexible, and hard.

The hard thing about aluminum isn't the mining - it is the refining. Both nickel and aluminum at different times have had a higher value than gold. Aluminum refining is a chemical as well as thermal process.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Gold is also one of the few metals found in its raw form in nature, rather than as an ore.

And because gold can be dissolved in mercury there is a very old scam where the mercury containing the dissolved gold is boiled off by an chchemist, leaving the gold behind. Otherwise known as the 'philosopher's stone' or 'mercury of the philosopher's'. Mercury is still used in gold mining today - to the ruination of the rivers it is used in.

Last edited:

I'm with Grump: imc Mithril's a titanium/steel alloy, and Adamantite's a complex alloy, the secret of which is closely guarded by the small community of dwarfs who make it; the only ingredients which they've divulged to the outside world are nitrided, pattern-forged steel and tungsten. The bit about Adamantite coming from meteorites is just misdirectional propaganda perpetrated by the dwarfs in question.

VirgilCaine

First Post
moritheil said:
Somehow, "I'm saving up for an aluminum shirt" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Crystal is used by psionicists in the construction of arms and armor.

They don't call it aluminum, DUH! It's still called mithral, it's just not some magical other-wise special material. Guh.

Wait, so psions use it? Or what is a "psionicist"?
[Edit: Yeah, I get what you are saying, but psionicist isn't a 3e term.]

Last edited:

Numenorean

First Post
One question .....

Why are we desperately trying to take metals and their qualities from a fantasy game world and define them using real world examples?

That seems silly to me, not to mention definitely un-fantasy like. Such a process robs them of their fantasy element.

and IMO there should be a lot more metals than just trhe boring D&D set of mithril, steel, cold iron(?), and adamantine. Like I said, pick up that Treasures of Middle Earth book, you will be introduced to other metals like eog, galvorn, ithilnaur (mithril alloy that Glamdring is made of), etc. .. or create your own.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads