• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is an effect?

Nullzone

Explorer
As a DM, I'm hoping it doesn't exist. Bad enough tracking all the conditions the monsters are under, without having to keep note of who applied them.

And what if the wielder hits a creature with, say, Dazed (save ends), then one of his team-mates hits it with the same condition? Is it still considered to be under an effect from the first attacker?

Technically, no -- despite them being the same duration, the new supersedes the old, much like with marks.

Smurtis

First Post
Please find the specific item or feat. At the moment, your question is meaningless because there's no situation in which it applies.

Aversion Staff:
Source: PHB3

Property: You gain a +2 item bonus to all defenses against attacks from enemies that are subject to effects caused by you.

Here's the specific item in question, as requested =)

Smurtis

First Post
... And effects that say you 'gain combat advantage' won't because the effect is on you, not the enemy in question.

A few months ago i asked if there was a difference between "gaining CA" and "enemey grants CA", and i believe it was you (or someone of equal status) that said they are one in the same... so, if they are one in the same, does it matter if one "grants CA" or if one "gains CA"?

If I was right before about there being a difference, I guess the Aversion Staff would be a great example for this question...

mudlock

First Post
Aversion Staff:

Property: You gain a +2 item bonus to all defenses against attacks from enemies that are subject to effects caused by you.

Wow, that's... kinda crazy.

In that context, I think it means to say any non-instantaneous effect (because otherwise it would be *beyond* crazy.) So damage and forced movement wouldn't count. But yeah, if you knock the target prone (which lasts until they expend a move action to end it) then as long as they stay prone you'd get that +2. If you grab it, you'd get the +2 for as long as they stay grabbed.

What a strange, and strangely worded, item. (See? This is why I never picked up PHB3...)

DracoSuave

First Post
A few months ago i asked if there was a difference between "gaining CA" and "enemey grants CA", and i believe it was you (or someone of equal status) that said they are one in the same... so, if they are one in the same, does it matter if one "grants CA" or if one "gains CA"?

If I was right before about there being a difference, I guess the Aversion Staff would be a great example for this question...

I said there might be a difference where the target of effects might be concerned. This is one of those examples.

And... it's not the difference between 'gets' and 'grants' or 'gains' it's the difference between whether the combat advantage is the result of an effect on the target or the attacker.

It's like the difference between 'Your allies get +2 to attack rolls' which is an effect on your allies, vs. 'Allies attacking the target get +2 to attack rolls' which is an effect on the target.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Aversion Staff:

Fantastic! Thank you very much!

What a dreadfully designed magic item!

Clarity comes from the section on Durations of the Rules Compendium (page 226), which begins as follows:

"Most effects in the game are instantaneous, as brief as a sword blow or a fiery explosion. Some effects last for a round or more, however. Such an effect has a duration, a specific amount of time that the effect lasts."

Overlapping effects? In summary:
* The effect that has the most time left supercedes the others.
* Effects that Save Ends are tracked separately (so if the monster is "slowed until end of your next turn" and "slowed (save ends)" it is affected by both for the purposes of the power.
* Identical effects that Save Ends - use the first one and ignore the latter (RC 228)

The use of effect is in the standard English manner (i.e. "Cause and Effect"), and so you can get great use of this if you're a warlock through your curse! Although it might be possible to argue that hit point damage is an effect that continues on the monster until healed, that way madness lies.

Is that clearer?

Cheers!

malraux

First Post
Aversion Staff:

At least its properly named. I'm very aversive toward that item.

Remove ads