• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is considered a Hit?

D3nt3

First Post
Plus they indicate that damage isn't necessarily purely a physical countdown in DnD anymore, it can represent morale/determination/loyalty/etc as well as physical health now (why things like Invigorating powers can give THP, as they can be looked at as boosting the PCs morale and drive to succeed).

That works for me.

Your hp does indicate your will to fight.

In terms of real world, if you hit any normal human (mob level 1) with a max sword damage you would kill him. But as a tough human fighter with an armor, you can take the same lethal damage tons of time and do not die. Does that mean you are not human?

The best example is inspiring word you call out to a wounded ally and offer inspiring word of courage and determination...

In mechanics you heal him "healing surge +d6 and something"

In cinematics you boosts his will to fight

That will that can be taken by a powerful attack that misses you but affects your morale.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
These things have always been true in D&D but in 4e the game system seems far more consistant in owning the nature of hitpoints... ie they are treated more as the abstractions they always were difined as being. Luck and Fatigue and Morale... etc.

Eldorian

First Post
The +2 would be included, as enhancement to damage is added whenever [W] damage is applied.

The enhancement to damage is added whenever the power has the "Weapon" or "Implement" keywords and has a damage roll. Swordmage powers have implement powers with [W] and weapon powers with d6s or whatever.

Black Arrow

First Post
Not that I wanted to throw in some controversy, BUT ; )

WotC Customer Service has ruled on this very question, per: CustServ Response

You only need to read the first post to get their response. Bottom line, you get NO bonus damage to secondary damage rolls, including Rain of Steel.

Let the debate continue...

D3nt3

First Post
WHOA, that reponse will change the course of everything.

Thanks, may you be rewarded forever for clarifying things for me.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
WHOA, that reponse will change the course of everything.

Thanks, may you be rewarded forever for clarifying things for me.

Bear in mind that if you read the thread (it's only 19 pages!), there's also a response from someone on the Design Team declaring that bonuses do apply to secondary damage.

-Hyp.

Rothe_

First Post
Selective reading is what leads to arguments many times. Most of the time you have to also decide what YOU want to do with the rule. RAW is often ricidulous compared to RAI.

Black Arrow

First Post
I hadn't read the entire thread either. Just bookmarked it when I saw it months ago and moved on. Having just read it, I'm reminded of a similar instance where one of the developers gave an interpretation on these boards that Rain of Blows fighter power grants two attacks, four with appropriate weapons. Updates (errata) overruled that interpretation for balance.

A member of the design team (who I respect a lot.. mdonais has provided the Wizards boards unique contributions and good feedback including 'Mike's Netizard') said that he'd check with Sam (part of Customer Service) and R&D. Their response according to Mike[#121] "was that they will update the FAQ to answer this more clearly." I believe Mike's next statement was just his personal opinion on how he would handle it in his game when he said, "For the time being I would continue to add your bonuses to secondary damage."

There clearly wasn't complete consensus or I expect the FAQ would have been updated long ago (it's been over six months). I consider Customer Service's ruling [per post 1] to be authoritative until the FAQ is updated or Customer Service rules to the contrary. I also think it is the most balanced interpretation and invalidates a lot of broken combos. If Mike was in a position to make a rules decision for the community he wouldn't have deferred to Sam (from Customer Service) and R&D in the first place. At least for LFR Customer Service responses are binding, so I would adhere to the original feedback unless/until the FAQ is updated or Customer Service rules differently. Anyway, my 2 cp.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You swung so hard at his friend that you scared the daylights out of him, and he is a few morale points (as represented by his HP total) closer to just calling it quits. (as how cleave damages the adjacent enemy but doesn't hit them).

I added Fearsome Stroke to my compilation and credited you ;-)

D&D Fighter Powers - skinning on the fly.

My house rules allow a large number of reduced to zero states which are dependent on the power (and the skinning of the power) that was used to deliver that final zero or below state- ie mostly up to the imagination.

When you have plenty of minions about these zero hit point - "out of the fight" conditions can occur with considerable regularity.

Remove ads