• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What *is* D&D

Arlough

Explorer
I just recently started looking into the 5e boards, and I keep finding people talking about what isn't D&D.
Things like
If it doesn't have 6 ability scores, it isn't D&D.​
and
If it doesn't have vancian magic, it isn't D&D.​

So I am wondering, rather than what isn't D&D, what is D&D.

This is just gathering info, not a place for argument. If you disagree with someone, create a new thread to argue on, and quote them to draw them there.
Also, this is for what is D&D. If you think something isn't D&D, post it here.

I have my own ideas, but I would like to see a few of your's first.

Okay, here is the top twenty, er, two things that are D&D.
What is D&D?
#1 - The 20 sided die
#2 - Classes
#5 - High Fantasy Setting (medieval European in particular)
#5 - Monstrous foes (dragons in particular)
#5 - Hit Points (really surprised me, considering how much flack they take here on ENWorld)
#6 - Dungeons
#8 - The game called Dungeons and Dragons, whatever that happens to be.
#8 - Levels
#10 - Magic
#10 - d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, & d20
#13 - Roleplaying
#13 - Stats (in particular: Charisma, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Strength, and Wisdom)
#13 - Armor Class
#15 - Narrative
#15 - Magic Missile
#22 - Gaming table hijinks, humor, and camaraderie
#22 - Critical equaling Epic Moment of Awesome
#22 - Tactical
#22 - Simulation
#22 - High Adventure (purpose, as opposed to setting)
#22 - Dungeon Master (lording over all)
#22 - Vancian magic​
Other notable mentions are:
  • Looting (let's be honest, it's marauding)
  • Feels like D&D (I'll know it when I see it)
  • 1 = FAIL
  • Player races

Last edited:

Redbadge

Explorer
A few things are D&D to me (based on t-shirts I have that are *about* D&D):

Gazebos
Ogre-slaying knives
Mountain Dew
d20s (particularly with a 20 on top)
Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma (particularly if these words are strangely accompanied by very specific numbers, such as an 18)
Monty Python jokes
Stick figures and their associated order
Rolling a 1 on a spot/search/perception check and apparently missing something otherwise extremely obvious
Numerous other things, many of which are much more serious than those presented above

More recently:
Jim Darkmagic
and one of my favorite t-shirts: "Move, Minor, Standard"

Last edited:

ArmoredSaint

First Post
To me--and I can't overemphasize that I recognize that this is just my own personal opinion (though I hardly think I'm completely alone in so thinking)--it's everything Doug McCrae said, with the additional requirement of being set in a pseudo-Euro medieval-esque environment.

Last edited:

D&D is a game which evolved from war-games in the early 1970s, through the key element of having players taking the role of individual characters and interacting within a generic fantasy setting that is described, controlled (and sometimes designed) by a game master (referee). As such it created a new genre of game, called a 'roleplaying game', that finds an equilibrium between tactical, simulation and narrative gameplay.

The rules are based on rolling dice to determine the outcomes of disputed events, and they come in a variety of polyhedral shapes. Most rolls are determined by a 20 sided dice, which needs to be rolled equal to or higher than a target number in order for a character to succeed at any given task. Various abilities are given numerical values that can be added to, or subtracted from the dice roll as specified by the situation.

Characters are defined by their name, Race, Class, Level, six Ability scores and various other traits which may, or may not be recorded in statistical notation. A Character's Race and Class determines their broad capabilities and present a clear fantasy archetype to help players identify with their characters. Classes also provide a development track for the characters to progress.

Characters progress through the accumulation of Experience points which are earned through adventuring and quests, as outlined in the narrative presented by the Game Master. These are tallied to determine a character's Level. As Levels escalate, the competency and power levels of the characters accumulate, accordingly.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads