D&D 5E What is Over-Powered?

Paraxis

Explorer
In what context are you talking about things being overpowered?

There are a few known issues that happen at some levels, looking at moon druid levels 2-4, and 20. But for the most part things fall with a spectrum of meh alright, as 5th edition is not about super balanced math and class abilities or even encounters it is hard to judge what is "overpowered".

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
In what context are you talking about things being overpowered?

There are a few known issues that happen at some levels, looking at moon druid levels 2-4, and 20. But for the most part things fall with a spectrum of meh alright, as 5th edition is not about super balanced math and class abilities or even encounters it is hard to judge what is "overpowered".

Whatever you'd feel a need to change if you were DM. I was going to mention a few examples, but I'd rather not single anything out with my limited knowledge of the new edition.

Taronkov

Explorer
The Incredible Hulk is overpowered...

Seriously though, I have not felt there is much that is out of balance really. Fighter with Crossbow Expert archery build maybe but while it's powerful it's not game breaking, which is how I would define overpowered.

DaveDash

Explorer
I consider a high level Eldritch Knight Crossbow Expert Sharpshooter build to be over powered, as you can outshine all other party members combined in combat, and you have very little in the way of weakness (especially if you also pick up Resilience Wisdom).
Other Fighter subtypes can be problematic as well, but high level EKs can spam shield etc and become very hard to deal with.
Also these ranged builds render melee redundant, which I actually do consider game breaking if you also happen to have a melee character in your party.

Zardnaar

Legend
Big Offenders
Sharpshooter+crossbow expert
Polearm Master+Great Weapon master

Feels like a feat tax
Warcaster
Resilient

Also these ranged builds render melee redundant, which I actually do consider game breaking if you also happen to have a melee character in your party.

That was one of the first things we noticed as well. In response, our DM added things from prior editions, such as giving ranged attackers disadvantage when shooting into melee.

Remove ads