• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is Rifts like?

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
No, not the best idea, not even in the same hemisphere. Thankfully nothing happened and it got dropped from both sides. Hell it probably never even got to him, I'm fairly sure there are mechanisms in the postal system designed to catch that sort of thing and sift it out.

And man have we really diverged from the topic, I apologize for the total threadjack via that comment.

I'll agree with a lot of posters that the Setting of RIFTs is great stuff, truly imaginative to the extent it doesn't necessarily all make sense but is fun anyway. The dinosaur of a system it's hobbled to holds it back.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Hairfoot said:
Danny Alcatraz summed up what I think of Rifts. Take the setting and play it with D20 Apocalypse. Swoit, mate, swoit.

The funny thing is - of all the systems that tried to shoehorn a D20 version (pinnacle's deadlands for example completely lost the feel of the setting when they tried to do D20) RIFTS would have likely been to most to succeed. Their system is close to D20 and it could really use the improvement.

Unfortunately, even suggesting such a thing is heresy -you could get banned from the palladium boards for even broaching the subject.

Spinachcat

First Post
Mort said:
Unfortunately, even suggesting such a thing is heresy -you could get banned from the palladium boards for even broaching the subject.

Not true.

Being a total buttmunch while demanding Palladium change to D20 gets people banned. I have numerous posts and numerous discussions on the PB forums about going OGL and the idea of selling system-free, all-setting books to appeal to other gamers. I have actively disagreed with other posters and PB writers and I have never been banhammered. Just be cool and accept that not everyone needs balanced mechanics to have fun.

BTW, if you enjoy RIFTS, then I highly suggest attending the Palladium Open House game convention in 2009. Here is my review of the 2008 event.

http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-325398.html

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've said it elswhere- possibly even on Palladium's boards (I don't recall at this time)- that when Palladium was in trouble, one of the best things that could have happened (for the game, not neccessarily the employees) was that the company would go under, the IP would be sold to another RPG company with a solid track record, and the entire game gets modernized and republished...WITH Kevin Sembieda (and possibly others) on board as the creative team. Remove him from the equation entirely, and I don't think the game would cohere properly.

In fact, much like Traveller, RIFTS would probably work in a variety of systems:

D20 or GURPS would probably be the best match for the "skills" side of things, and are probably the closest to the actual RIFTS mechanics among modern games. Factor in D20 variants like Spycraft, Dragonstar or Dragonmech, and the D20 system probably is the best fit. Still, nobody does supplements like the guys and gals at GURPS- I bet their experiences managing the world of GURPS supps would translate into a masterful handling of the myriad RIFTS Megaverse publications.

Mongoose's new version of Paranoia would also have worked well, assuming you use the optional "serious" rules.

HERO or M&M would easily handle the "unbalanced" and "super-heroic" aspects of the game, and could model any OCC or RCC in Palladium without flinching.

WoD? This would have been an interesting and challenging amalgam- a creative setting partnered with a game system that emphasizes role-play over crunch.

I'm much more a fan of Palladium Fantasy than Rifts. When Rifts first came out I thought, "Holy @$%!!! What did they do to Beyond the Supernatural?!?!"

On it's own though, it's a setting that's got all kinds of fun possibilities.

The mechanics? Yeah, there's some issues there. These days (for better or worse) people approach games with the inherent expectation/belief that it's all "balanced". Rifts expects that any kind of balance issues is going to be handled by the GM.

I've only got the main books and a few others. Picked up as lots. I know the Vampire Kingdoms is one of 'em. Atlantis is another. The books do seem prone to power-creep, but even D&D with it's fans all obsessed with being "balanced" has had that.

d20 is a logical enough system to try and use to run Rifts. The biggest problem I've seen with any Rifts conversion (and a lot of other conversions in general) is the attempt to convert the mechanics into a different system. Since the classes weren't really made with the idea of being balanced relative to each other, you wind up with an awful mess when you try and do the same thing in something like d20.

Of course, your flavor of d20 is going to affect how things look too.

I personally would start with either Grim Tales or BESMd20. Depends on the overall structure/flavor you want. After that, I'd add in different books depending on what I expected the game to feature a lot of.

Glitterboys/Coalition stuff, I'd go with Dream Pod 9's Mecha Compendium Deluxe. It's got a complete and consistent system to build all the tanks/glitterboys/etc. You could always add in the Guardians of Order d20 Mecha Military Vehicles book after that, if you want the modern style aircraft/tanks/etc. Since it's using the same base rules as the Mecha Compendium Deluxe, you should really have too many issues mixing 'em up.

Magic.... yeesh. Pick your favorite magic systems and plop 'em in. Everyone's got their own pet version of the "best" magic books out there. I personally would start with Unusual Core Classes: Spellweaver from Misfit Studios. That's going to be the skill based magic stuff. They convert the SRD spells over for you and overall it seems like a tight enough system.

Psionics, I'd go with Green Ronin's system which is found in the Psychic's Handbook, as well as one of their Advanced Guides. Again, it's skill based.

Point based magic stuff, you've got a few options. I personally would be starting with BESMd20 as a core, so I'd just stick with their approach to spells. Honestly, magic systems are one of the things that everyone and their dog has written a sourcebook of some sort for. It's all mainly a matter of personal preference and knowledge.

Stepping outside of d20?

Well, my "go to" system these days is Zorcerer of Zo. It's a pretty light system. In the case of Rifts it's advantage is that you don't really have to worry about "balance" in the same way. You just make "Glitterboy" be one of your stats, and agree with the GM about what exactly a Glitterboy is in the first place. Nice and simple. ZoZ is powered by the PDQ system, which also powers Truth & Justice and several other games. It's one of the few games where you really can have Batman and Superman hanging out and contributing just as much to the game. Not for everyone though.

Talislanta/Waste World. Yeah, it might sound odd but the old Waste World game has a number of similiarites to Rifts actually. The overall system seems to be pretty close to the system that's in Talislanta as well. Waste World though has a point buy thingy as part of it, so it'd be easier to build certain aspects of Rifts. I'd looke to Waste World to cover the techy stuff, and Talislanta to handle the magic stuff. The rules seem to be similar enough that you could decide which of them was going to be the "base" system, and then you'd import the other bits you wanted from the other system.

For a non-d20 approach, and something that's more conventional than PDQ or Talislanta, I'd look at Unisystem. I personally prefer the Cinematic version (Buffy/Angel) but you could go with the Classic (Witchcraft, All Flesh Must Be Eaten) too.

Use a combination of Witchcraft and The Magic Box ( you can still buy it easily as a pdf) to cover the magic side of things. I'd use Angel as the base set of rules, and bring across Armageddon to handle funky powers and the really big stuff. There's All Tomorrow's Zombies which will also help take care of creating other races, as well as cybernetics, other psionic rules, and all kinds of other sci-fi stuff. Armageddon: Armed Force is probably another book to consider. It covers the military side of things in the Armageddon world. There's bits that can be lifted from other Unisystem books, depending on exactly what you want to import.

Of course, you can always go with whatever your favorite supers game is.

The one thing that always seems to trip people up in looking at running Rifts using another system is the whole MegaDamage thing. I personally think it's a non-issue. Just drop it is the easiest solution. If you want to keep it for whatever reason, then a supers game is probably not a bad way to go. Most game systems don't really deal with damage on different scales. Meaning a knife, a gun, a car, and a tank will all do different amounts of damage, but it's all effectively at the same level. Supers games have to deal with the idea of super-damage vs "regular" damage. So just rewrite the classes to fit in the supers system. Glitterboys wind up being just another version of an Iron Man powersuit, the various casters simply do magic in different ways, some classes become the Scientist/Gadgeteer type, and so forth.

Just like people say, "I play D&D" and you have to wonder "What kind of D&D?", when someone says, "I love Rifts" you have to kinda wonder exactly what kind of Rifts game they're talking about. Like D&D, Rifts has so many different things going on with it, that you can't really expect everyone's on the same page.

Oh and in answer to the question "What is Rifts like?"...

It's like climing into a mecha and shooting it out with a bunch of other mecha.
It's like playing a character from some other dimension, and walking into town and having a bunch of people try to string you up.
It's like scrounging around in the wastelands, trying desperately to find something to eat.
It's like having a character that looks at Dr Strange and mutters "chump" before showing him how to get it done.
It's like playing a cyberenhanced character from Cyberpunk or Shadowrun that's lost all of its humanity, and had its power turned up to 11. Cybernetics optional.
It's like playing a normal person that's trying to hangout with a bunch of supers that are fighting each other, and trying not to get blown up in the process.
It's like fighting to liberate humanity from the oppressive grip of a cybered militant dictatorship.
It's like fighting to save humanity from the flood of strange creatures from other dimesnions looking to enslave humanity.

It's a total blast if you're willing to either put it into a system you like, or you don't worry about the system it comes with.

If you like John Woo, Die Hard, Aliens, or anything like it, you should seriously look at it and let your mind wander over the possibilities.

If you can't picture yourself saying, "Woohoo!" you'll probably want to give it a pass. If you just don't get the idea of a mech that's completely chromed and fires a gun massive enough to require stabilizers to shoot out from the feet of the mech and into the ground, the possibilities are probably going to shoot right by you.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Spinachcat said:
Not true.

Being a total buttmunch while demanding Palladium change to D20 gets people banned. I have numerous posts and numerous discussions on the PB forums about going OGL and the idea of selling system-free, all-setting books to appeal to other gamers. I have actively disagreed with other posters and PB writers and I have never been banhammered. Just be cool and accept that not everyone needs balanced mechanics to have fun.

BTW, if you enjoy RIFTS, then I highly suggest attending the Palladium Open House game convention in 2009. Here is my review of the 2008 event.

That's true - you really do have to be a jerk about it for an actual ban. That said no official conversion to D20 is a possibility (which is a shame because there's so much promise there).

Last edited:

bielmic

Explorer
Spinachcat said:
Not true.

here's there policy from their message boards... it seems pretty clear; if you post conversions, you're in trouble.

"THE BOTTOM LINE: Please don’t convert and post Palladium characters and/or rules to other games. Don’t convert the fictional characters, space ships, monsters, gear and copyrighted images or text created by other companies and individuals to Palladium’s game rules, either. Don’t post them online or share them with others through invitations online via e-mail and downloads. If you have such “conversions” online right now – please remove them. Thank you."

Remove ads