• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is Slashing Damage Worth?

roguerouge

First Post
How much would it be worth in XP to change a magic Rapier that does piercing damage to a magic rapier that does piercing and slashing damage? My player wants to add that feature to her signature sword because the golf bag of weapons is "unsightly."

I'm going to let her pay for the alteration, but I have no idea how much to charge.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In the MIC, there is a weapon enhancement that lets you change damage types or the form of the actual weapon or some such.

As I recall, its a +1 cost.

Shin Okada

Explorer
If she wants to avoid having the golf bag of weapons, slashing damage is not enough. She will need at least one bludgeoning weapon, and maybe weapons made of various different material, too. Usually, the best way to avoid this is to use a two-handed weapon and make power attack. This may cause damages massive enough to overwhelm DR.

I guess Transmuting ability (MIC P.45) is the way to go. This +2 bonus equivalent ability will let her bypass any kind of DR, from the next round hitting the enemy once.

Edit: I was wrong about Rapier cannot be used for power attack. It can be.

Last edited:

roguerouge

First Post
We're talking a bard with a rapier in a one PC campaign.

Now, people are referring to the Morphing weapon quality from the MiC, which does a touch more than what's required. Morphing reshapes your weapon into any other weapon of the same size and type, which means that you can get bonuses to trip, alter your critical range, do more damage, get a double weapon, and/or possibly get reach (with a sizing great sword?).

So, I'm thinking it should be less than +1 cost.

Is it more similar to the Changeling weapon quality, which allows a spear to shift between spear, shortspear, and longspear? That's 2K in cost, but it's for changing your reach, not adding a damage type.

roguerouge

First Post
Wow. Transmuting is a steep cost. She definitely wants less than that right now, because she hasn't faced those exotic silver and magic DR creatures. I'll keep that in mind for the future for her, however.

roguerouge

First Post
I've decided to price it at 2K and let my player know that she can get a Transmuting weapon later on. 2K is the same price as a Changeling spear, and that's something that adds damage and makes reach more effective.

Thanks for the help!

Remove ads