• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is so good about gate that it leads the current 9th level spells shootout?

I mean... the moment Wish was voted off we weren't going to get the "best" 9th level spell. I just down voted Gate because you have to downvote something!

Have to downvote something, and you didn't think Prismatic Wall, which is hilariously bad spell for 9th level, and in the lead, was that spell? Gate is clearly actually a decent 9th-level spell.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Have to downvote something, and you didn't think Prismatic Wall, which is hilariously bad spell for 9th level, and in the lead, was that spell? Gate is clearly actually a decent 9th-level spell.

shrug I mean they're 9th level. Except for maybe Weird, they're all pretty good. Heck, even Weird could have its applications :)

I've used Prismatic Wall/Sphere to great effect and it has saved my wizards bacon before, so I wouldn't be adverse if it won.

Gate is useful no doubt, but it's not a spell I'd have prepared on my wizards often unless I was planning some planar shenanigans.

If I'm preparing spells at 9th level for an adventuring day, it's Wish, or Shapechange, or Prismatic Wall or Foresight. I usually don't prepare more than 2 because... spell slots.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And let's also add that this hate isn't tied to a lack of effectiveness. Some people hate spells that are "too good" because it requires the DM to be rather flexible and not married to the idea of being in control of the game.

I mean, Wish was one of the first spells voted out on that poll, ffs. That was exactly the moment I stopped paying attention.
Nah, it’s got nothing to do with DMs not wanting to be flexible or “not in control”.

It’s just a spell that shouldn’t be a spell. It should be the property of legendary creatures and (very, very, rarely) objects.

I don’t care what spells my players have. I can improvise regardless of what they do. I don’t even like Wish as a player. Because the game is about almost everything but efficacy before it’s about efficacy, for my group.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
Nah, it’s got nothing to do with DMs not wanting to be flexible or “not in control”.

It’s just a spell that shouldn’t be a spell. It should be the property of legendary creatures and (very, very, rarely) objects.

I don’t care what spells my players have. I can improvise regardless of what they do. I don’t even like Wish as a player. Because the game is about almost everything but efficacy before it’s about efficacy, for my group.

I'm not certain you actually disagree with me. I said some people dislike a spell like Wish because they don't think players should have access to that kind of power, only the DM should. You said you dislike a spell like Wish because you don't think players should have access to that kind of power, only the DM should (in the form of creatures and sometimes objects). Don't read too much into the DM flexibility side of it, that wasn't meant to be the core of the argument.

Where we disagree is how okay that is, but that's just a matter of opinion and not the subject of my post. Besides, every wizard knows the real purpose of Wish is duplicating spells; trying to reshape reality with it is for fools who don't understand that no natural language is without ambiguity.

If you are using the recent 'survivor' poll on 9th level spells as a bellwether, I think you might be reading too much into it. There were people voting for Weird in that poll, for pete's sake!

Once I saw people could vote more than once in the Survivor threads, I began ignoring them completely. The only thing they measure is what people who monitor Survivor threads like. They're useless.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm not certain you actually disagree with me. I said some people dislike a spell like Wish because they don't think players should have access to that kind of power, only the DM should. You said you dislike a spell like Wish because you don't think players should have access to that kind of power, only the DM should (in the form of creatures and sometimes objects). Don't read too much into the DM flexibility side of it, that wasn't meant to be the core of the argument.

Where we disagree is how okay that is, but that's just a matter of opinion and not the subject of my post. Besides, every wizard knows the real purpose of Wish is duplicating spells; trying to reshape reality with it is for fools who don't understand that no natural language is without ambiguity.

I don’t care about the power level. There are spells I’ve voted down in that thread because they don’t feel powerful enough to be 9th level spells.

It’s the specific effect, and it’s a purely thematic dislike.

In other words, I just think it’s a garbage spell. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads