What is Success in the RPG Industry?

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Working in games I had that discussion many times before a game hit the market. "What is success for this product?"

The only real answer is that it depends.

Some creators will seek to work full time on tabletop products. In that case, breaking even, being able to give themselves a salary, have some margin of profit to expand operations are all measures of success.

Some creators will do it out of creative and social motivation. They want to make a game or a product and have people play it. In that case, not having the game make a ton of money but having a dedicated fan base might be a definition of success.

Some creators are very focused on some impacts: more inclusion, better representation, less violence. Then having testimonies of players affected by your products, or players telling you how refreshing it is to have such a product can be a measure of success.

And of course, most creators have several motivations so it all blends it.

For example, the project I'm currently closing after six years of development led to a discussion where we know that financial success is unlikely, but we established that if the reviews were good, that the game ended up being studied and names in universities (it's a social impact game) and that the communities we worked with (eastern Canada natives) felt that we had done a good job representing elements of their culture; then the game will be a success.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I try to tackle this question in the Success in RPGs video series. It's very hard to define in creative industries like this one, because so many in the space are not doing this work full time. And many who are have income through a spouse or are simply unaware of the financial needs they will face later in life.

Success can be, for many, simply creating a game or product that receives recognition. Many RPGs are made by one or two individuals who have a day job and the game has acclaim and that's success. For others, financial success is very high or even highest in importance. The art and creativity may be valued highly, but the company needs financial success. Here the definition of what that means can vary as well. Is it that everybody at the company has a salary and benefits (health care in the US, but also retirement) such that they will be able to cover the higher health costs of old age, retire comfortably, and cover life's unexpected surprises?

Historically, our industry is really bad at financial success. Countless creators we look up to end up having to use GoFundMe to handle health issues or unexpected costs. Social media and other information areas tend to encourage creating at a low margin, without addressing the inequity in the hobby. I try to provide numbers in the video series so folks can realize, for example, how hard it is for even the better word rates to provide a living in the US and many countries.

Scribe

Legend
From what I've read here, to generate enough money that the owners are not homeless, but not enough to allow them to to bring them security in their old age.

Really? That seems oddly specific.

I would imagine 'A living wage with enough money for home ownership, and retirement savings.' would be pretty acceptable to most.

Now if the idea of 'retirement savings' means companies must make 10's of millions of dollars in profit, people will start to wonder, but I dont think anyone is suggesting people should be retiring into poverty.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Success in DRPGs (in no particular order):

• Winning an ENnie
  • Joe Manganiello mentions your product
  • Matt Mercer runs your game
  • Baldur's Gate 4 decides to interrupt game play with rules from your game.

Scribe

Legend
Based on the GoFundMes to cover the medical costs of RPG legends, I would think not.

There's plenty of threads bemoaning the low pay in the industry.

I mean 'RPG legends' are going to be people who were legends when it was even more of a cottage industry than today no?

No Union, no pension, and wages that in comparison to any 'high end' job are probably very much on the low end?

That is not a reflection I would think, on what people would hope the wages of today would be.

Remove ads