• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is the appeal of the weird fantasy races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I've known too many elfophiles to believe it's close to universal.

Hell, 4 of my last 5 characters have been either elves or half-elves; I blame the joy that is the Elven Accuracy feat.

There are only two tragedies in life; one if not getting to play the race one wants, and the other is playing an elf.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
There are only two tragedies in life; one if not getting to play the race one wants, and the other is playing an elf.
True enough, my life would have been much brighter if they had just renamed that feat "Halfling Precision".

But getting to roll 3 dice when you have advantage? I just can't quit you!

reelo

Hero
Shhhh, @Neonchameleon. Halflings have the Tolkien Stamp of Approval, so, therefore, they are completely and utterly normal in and expected in a D&D game. Any criticisms of how various races make about as much sense as a cardboard hammer will summarily be ignored by those who abide by Tolkien Standards and Practices.

Shame that the early D&D writers weren't more into Lewis than Tolkien. Then we'd be reversing the argument right now. :D
Actually, I wouldn't mind ditching Halflings in favour of Gnomes. I always found Halflings to be kind of bland, and Gnomes a lot more interesting. To the Elves the forests, to the Dwarves the Mountains, to the Humans the plains, and to the Gnomes to foothills. For each race 1-2 "antagonist races" and that's all the sentient species a world needs.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
True enough, my life would have been much brighter if they had just renamed that feat "Halfling Precision".

But getting to roll 3 dice when you have advantage? I just can't quit you!

The importance of that 3-dice roll advantage is a notion that came into favor during one of the many frenzied, drug-fueled pro-elf orgies that occasionally dot the excesses of the worst of the D&D culture; but everyone should understand that the experiment would churn up this kind of hangover; a whole subculture of frightened elf-players with no faith in anything and a vacant stare as they stumble between the 10,838 various subraces of elf.

TwoSix

Seems like halflings could just be half-dwarves.
In one campaign I ran, the only original races were humans, elves, dwarves, and gnomes; stout halflings were gnome-dwarf hybrids, and lightfoot halflings were gnome-elf hybrids; both races quickly became more numerous than their original ancestors.

TwoSix

The importance of that 3-dice roll advantage is a notion that came into favor during one of the many frenzied, drug-fueled pro-elf orgies that occasionally dot the excesses of the worst of the D&D culture; but everyone should understand that the experiment would churn up this kind of hangover; a whole subculture of frightened elf-players with no faith in anything and a vacant stare as they stumble between the 10,838 various subraces of elf.
My next campaign is going to be called "Requiem for an Arvandor", the only race choice is Black Tar elves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads