• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the basic way(s) to max an ability?

Jeffrie

First Post
I know there are bonuses by class, and since i'm exampling my current Factotum build suggestions should stick to small dips.

But that's not what i'm talking about. I mean what is the standard max, and how do you get there?

Ability Stat + Race Stat + Level Bonus + (how many and how to get them?)

Is Belt of Magnificence worth it?

And can magic items that give bonuses when worn give skills? Spells? Turns? How's that work?

kitcik

Adventurer
You can generally use one Tome/Manual (inherent bonus) + one other magic item (enhancement bonus) per ability, meaning in non-epic you can generally get up to +11 on an ability from magic. There are always min/max exceptions, but this is such a general question I am going to generalize.

If you start with an 18 and get +2 from your race (assuming a non-LA, non-anthropomorphic, non-monstrous HD race), you can get:
18 (roll) + 2 (race) + 5 (levels) + 5 (Tome) + 6 (item) = 36

You will see optimized builds with higher results, but this is a good place to start.

Jeffrie

First Post
Is Belt of Magnificence worth it?

And can magic items that give bonuses when worn give skills? Spells? Turns? How's that work?

HoboGod

First Post
Playing Orc is a good way to improve your strength. Also if you're in a higher powered game, you might consider Ogre. At ECL 7, an Orc Fighter 7 and an Ogre Fighter 1 who have rolled the same stats have the same modifier to hit, but the Ogre's strength is 6 higher. Also, if you're trying to attain a high strength for grapple/bullrush/etc, being a size larger is where you want to be.

Other than that, you probably want to be abusing a combination of Rage and magic items.

Herzog

Adventurer
Assuming 3.5 (and not Pathfinder) you don't get additional skillpoints from Intelligence increased through an item or spell (those are non-permanent increases, so no skillpoints). You also don't get additional skillpoints from earlier levels when reasing your INT through a Tome or from a lvl increase. (if you increase your INT at lvl 8, lvl 1-7 do not suddenly grant you extra skillpoints)

Note that this is ONLY the case for INT. Constitution increases give additional hp no matter when or how your CON is increased.

Last but not least, bonusses stack as long as their types differ.
Most spells and magic item give enhancement bonusses, so having multiple items increase your stat doesn't help.
Tomes give Inherent bonusses, so they DO stack with other items, but read their rules carefully. (a tome +1 and a tome +2 do NOT give you a +3!)
One other way to increase abilities is by looking for feats or items that give other types of bonusses. One example is the Vow of Poverty Feat from Book of Exalted Deeds, which gives an Exalted bonus to one (or more? I forgot) stat.

Trouvere

Explorer
In core/SRD only:
  • racial bonus - Dwarf +2 Con, Elf +2 Dex, Half-Orc +2 Str etc., usually with concomitant penalty to another ability
  • free choice of +1 unnamed increase to an ability every 4th level
  • inherent bonus of +1 to +5 from wish or miracle
  • advance age categories to increase mental abilities, generally with loss of physical abilities
  • permanent increases from class dips, including:
    ...Dragon Disciple 2 (+2 Str), 4 (+2 Str), 6 (+2 Con), 8 (+2 Int), 10 (+4 Str, +2 Cha)
    ...Dwarf Paragon 3 (+2 Con)
    ...Elf Paragon 3 (+2 Int)
    Gnome Paragon 3 (+2 Cha)
    Half-Elf Paragon 3 (+2 any)
    Half-Orc Paragon 3 (+2 Str)
    Human Paragon 3 (+2 any)
    Orc Paragon 3 (+2 Str)
  • temporary increases from class features:
    ...Barbarian rage (unnamed +4, +6 or +8 Str and Con)
    ...Druid wild shape (adopt new Str, Dex, pseudo-Con)
    ...Transmuter enhance attribute variant (+2 enhancement any)
    ...Charm domain (unnamed +4 Cha)
    ...Strength domain (+Cleric level enhancement Str)
    ...Dwarven Defender defensive stance (unnamed +2 Str, +4 Con)
    ...War Mind chain of personal superiority (+2 or +4 insight Str, Con)
  • +2, +4 or +6 enhancement bonus from various magic items - belt of strength, cloak of charisma, gloves of dexterity etc.
  • temporary increases from many spells and powers, not limited to:
    ...animal's attribute spells, owl's wisdom etc. (+4 enhancement)
    ...animal affinity (+4 enchancement to one or more abilities)
    ...compression (+2 or +4 size Dex)
    ...death knell (+2 unnamed Str)
    ...enlarge person (+2 size Str)
    ...expansion (+2 or +4 size Str)
    ...form of doom (+4 unnamed Str)
    ...polymorph (adopt new Str, Dex, Con)
    ...polymorph any object (adopt new scores)
    ...psychofeedback (unnamed to Str, Dex or Con at equal cost to other ability scores)
    ...rage (+2 morale Str, Con)
    ...reduce person (+2 size Dex)
    ...righteous might (+4 size Str, +2 size Con)
  • effects that directly increase ability checks rather than ability scores
    ...stone of good luck (+1 luck ability checks)
    ...pale green ioun stone (+1 competence)
    ...Nobility domain (+2 morale)

Empirate

First Post
Belt of Magnificence is worth it (IMO) as soon as you have a character relying heavily on four different ability scores. Monks (all except Cha & Int) and Paladins (all except Dex & Int) come to mind. So do melee Bards (Cha, Con, Str, Int) and melee Clerics (Wis, Cha, Con, Str). The boost to the other two scores is still nice to have, and the surcharge for only taking one body slot can be a very good thing at very high levels. Obviously, BoM is an option only at the highest levels anyway, so I'm assuming that is what the OP's question was aimed at.

Jeffrie

First Post
Thanks Trouvere, and all.

I think Facto is MAD. And i like the point that it only takes up one slot, leaving lots of slots for small items with cool powers.

Price 25,000 gp (+2), 8th 27,000 gp 18th 9th 36,000 gp

100,000 gp (+4), 13th 110,000 gp 14th 150,000 gp

200,000 gp (+6), 15th 200,000 gp 16th 260,000 gp

With Appraise and Diplomacy i can likely trade them in as i advance levels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads