• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the best "bad" ending you've seen/read? [Spoilers abound]

rurbonas

First Post
Ever so slightly OT:

The multiple endings for Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex, two of my favorite games. Both have several endings that all make sense based on the characters and stories involved, but none of them are really "happy endings."

Starman

Adventurer
rurbonas said:
Ever so slightly OT:

The multiple endings for Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex, two of my favorite games. Both have several endings that all make sense based on the characters and stories involved, but none of them are really "happy endings."

Not OT, at all. Endings of all sorts apply. I haven't played Deus Ex, but I definitely agree on Torment. I would like to see more games that could potentially end badly, but I think most players would throw their controller/keyboard through their TV/moniter.

Starman

John Crichton

First Post
OOoo. If we are doing videogames as well, Phantasy Star II is way up there. After being the final 2 bosses we find out about the Earthlings and their plans. Final cut to all the characters giving a rah rah then fade to credits. Classic.

Ferret

Explorer
I come bearing aweful news.

Mummy. Now, don't be fooled. This isn't The Mummy, no. The ending has them chase down the Mummy, but it charms the professer and he kills them all. The film ends with the mummy in close up disguised as a person. Aweful. I was fooled into thinking it was The Mummy (a much better film) and was very disappointed.

The Wendigo ends oddly. The hero and the villian fight (both having fed on human flesh, and powered up) but the hero wrestles the bad guy into a bear trap and films ends with the eternal last words "That was sneaky". :\

The Thing is great bad ending, so has quite a few that have been mentioned.

Jedidiah

First Post
Glad to see someone finally mentioned Planet of the Apes (the original, not the horrid, wimpy remake - and while we're on that, how can a movie made now have worse special effects than a movie made in the 70's?)

For great 'bad' endings I would have to go with "The Mission." No movie has ever made me want to go out and kick someones butt like that - fortunately no Portuguese exploreres were handy.

And for something more recent how about "Mystic River" with Sean Penn. Great movie, great character, great ending.

Tetsubo

First Post
Maxwell's Demon said:
S.M. Stirling's Draka series of books. The good guys end up booted off the Earth and the slavers have taken over the entire world.

This gets my vote. I loved that series. The Draka rocked.

Pants

First Post
rurbonas said:
Ever so slightly OT:

Mentioning games...
StarCraft: Brood War and WarCraft: Frozen Throne (to a lesser extent...)

I'd also like to nominate 12 Monkeys as well. That movie f**ked my brain

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads