D&D 5E What is the "best" character for ONLY levels 1-4

On that note, are there any healing cantrips for Clerics?

I figure if Magic Users (of whatever stripe) now have damage-dealing cantrips, it's only right Clerics should have an equivalent.
The Cleric equivalent of a damage-dealing cantrip is still a damage-dealing cantrip. Magical healing is a bit of a limited resource, short of long rests that heal everyone to full.

Some classes, such as the Life-domain Cleric, have other healing abilities that recover with a short rest. There is no at-will healing, though.

Juriel

First Post
Human Fighter/Rogue, who has Shield Master as Human feat. From lv2, you have a bonus action knockdown to get your Sneak Attack with, and Expertise in two skills, fight7ng style, and all the armors.

Moon Druid lv2 onwards, because turning into stuff like giant hyena is broken.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm curious about creating characters that are optomized for levels 1-4, which is generally the level for the one shots during adventure's league. I have tons of fun creating low level characters, but I'm interested in a wider viewpoint.

So, make a character that's engaging and excellent, that will top out at level 4. Or, to put it another way, which class is the most powerful during levels 2 and 3?

Just a note: the Expeditions adventures (which I guess is what you are talking about) don't stop at levels 1-4. The initial ones are those levels, but of the original 14 that will be out between now and March 2015, five of them are for levels 5-10. (One comes out in November, the rest next March). Eventually, Expeditions will cover a lot more levels than just 1-4.

Cheers!

kerbarian

Explorer
Just a note: the Expeditions adventures (which I guess is what you are talking about) don't stop at levels 1-4. The initial ones are those levels, but of the original 14 that will be out between now and March 2015, five of them are for levels 5-10. (One comes out in November, the rest next March). Eventually, Expeditions will cover a lot more levels than just 1-4.

There is the issue that Adventurer's League is structured a bit strangely -- you can play any character you want from levels 1-4 and then change race, class, etc. right before you get to 5th level. So even if you have a plan for what you'd like to play at mid-high levels, it could still make sense to figure out the strongest options at 1-4. Of course, my experience with organized play adventures in the past is that you can complete them just fine without worrying about optimization. But maybe 5E organized play will be deadlier...

As to the OP's question, I have to agree with Juriel: A druid choosing Circle of the Moon is incredibly powerful starting at level 2 and stays way ahead of the other classes through level 4. Even sticking to the beasts in the PHB, turning yourself into a brown bear gives you 34 free HP twice per short rest, and the bear's attacks are better than an optimized fighter's (up through level 4). On top of that you're a full caster with healing, and you have solid AC and damage (Shillelagh plus shield) when you're not being a bear.

If you really want to make your Expeditions party unstoppable, I'd go with a human druid and start with the Healer feat.

TheGorramBatman

First Post
If we're specifically talking about Expeditions/Adventurer's League (or whatever they're calling it), then you might not necessarily know what your party composition is going to be.

Aside from the obvious Cleric/Bard team support character (which tend to be the least played at some of these shindigs), I think Paladin or Fiend Warlock would be the best bet.

Lay on Hands and Dark One's Blessing are solid features for keeping a character alive throughout a two or four hour play session. Both Warlock and Paladin also offer plenty to keep you entertained along the way. Both of these classes also develop pretty well beyond 4th level once the higher level organized play hits (Novemberish).

zicar

First Post
I believe the only healing OTHERS abilities before level 4 are cure wounds, healing word, certain divine domains, and lay on hands.

Alternatively, what I am doing is playing a human ranger with the Healer feat (playing him as a combat medic). Turns a single healing kit into 10 uses of d6 + 4 + 1hp per HD (scales with level) healing. My ranger carries 3 healing kits. You can also spend 1 use to replicate Spare the Dying with the added bonus of regaining 1 hp (which the spell does not do). This seems like a lot of effective healing at low levels.

Dylan Reichley

First Post
I personally am fairly new to 5e d&d, but a woodelf/ranger/folk hero virtually tops out at level 1, and can be invaluable in a group atmosphere. Skill wise you're proficiency is +5 in animal handling, insight, medicine, perception, stealth, and survival. Not to mention you can be an absolute life saver in youre favored terrain (complete with all the wonderful elven perks). In a battle you've got a decent 14 AC, a longbow that does 1d8 with +5 to hit and dual wielding short swords. In short you're kind of a BA. Here is an example pic:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171127-105037.jpg
    Screenshot_20171127-105037.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 3,702

Remove ads