What is the Best Encounter in Pyramid of Shadows?

Daern

Explorer
Say I just happened to have dropped my group into the PoS just before a long hiatus and I would like to get them back out quick and get the campaign on track after just one enounter.

Which the best set-piece battle with fun terrain and mix of monsters?
At the moment I'm leaning towards one with a cool map, like the Palace of Bones, but how does that encounter play out?

I am calling on the experienced EN World crew, what one encounter will bookmark the Pyramid of Shadows in their minds?

Sub question: How can I make that encounter as good as it can be?

cheers!
Durn

Obryn

Hero
Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure! It kinda depends on their level...

The final battle with Karavakos can be awesome if you up the minions a bit. Give them DR 10, and make them bloodied if they take less than 10 damage after that.

I loved the fight with the headless corpse. It was a solo fight that really felt like a major battle, with her movable zones.

The toughest one, IIRC, was with the harpy, the gargoyles, and the stairs.

The druid with his bear and his Beast was pretty cool, too.

I dunno. While I think PoS could have been broken up a lot better with non-combat encounters, I can't pick a "best" fight...

-O

MrMyth

First Post
When I ran it, my group ended up heading into the Arborean's area right away, and the encounter with their leader and the plant god went over really, really well. Having this primal force of nature uprooting trees from the ground and hurling stone plinths at the invaders - the entire interaction between the scenery and the combatants really made that encounter.

The most intense fight was with the white dragon, who I had given a name and backstory and had the PCs learn about earlier in the temple... but I also modified the encounter a bit, adding in a bunch of 'ice bat' minions and other support. (Partly to just make it more tougher in general, partly to compensate for the party size being 6-7 PCs). Plus, of course, awesome map, and I made the dragon huge (with no other mechanical changes) just to use the excellent Huge White Dragon mini.

There are a lot of good encounters in there... the Headless Corpse, any of the Karavakos fights (especially the final one)... I know the party was appropriately squicked out by venturing in the Heart of Madness and fighting the aberrations in there.

I do like the Palace of Bones fight, and it does have a very nice map, but I'd recommend being slightly careful if you use it. It was probably the worst fight I ran for my group, just because the grasping bones hazard really constantly shut down melee characters in a way that was frustrating, rather than challenging. Weaken or adjust that, though, and it could be a good fight.

I'd say finding one fight to really capture the place will be hard - the best part of the adventure is having so many different environs all trapped within the place - but I do think the Arborean area can work well. Have the PCs explore the outer areas (removing the enemies or making them all easy to defeat), maybe work in a skill challenge or other event as they encounter this rampant growth within the Pyramid... and eventually they reach the Arborean's Temple at the end, and can defeat the druid, his pet bear, and his plant 'god'.

Then have the spirit of Karavakos appear and mockingly thank them for removing a threat to him from the Pyramid, and cast them back out, or similar... which should help things make sense overall, rather than just having them show up, get in a fight, and get out.

If you are willing to spend a little more time there, you could expand on this a bit, and just have the group fight all the 'boss monsters' in the Temple. (Perhaps on behalf of Karavakos). He might send them to fetch some magical trinket from the Arboreans, the Dragon, the Bandit Warlord, and maybe defeat his other selves along the way. All the other enemies they encounter can either be made into minions - or better yet, have open warfare be in the midst of erupting between the different fashions, so that they are constantly stumbling into fights where different groups are cutting each other down, or entering a room where everyone is already dead or dying, etc. (Maybe even let the PCs be the ones turning those groups against each other, depending on how hands on they are).

That would let the PCs only have to deal with less than half a dozen fights (potentially doable in 1-2 sessions), while still getting a tour of the Pyramid. And eventually they reach Karavakos and can either help him open the way out, or fight him and escape on their own (if you decide to keep Vyrellis in the adventure.)

willf

First Post
Well, I can't exactly answer your question, because I've only read (but not played the adventure). But my number one opinion after reading that adventure is, man, Mearls can design an encounter. From the reading, there is one good encounter after another. The above posts seem to echo that sentiment.

Obryn

Hero
Well, I can't exactly answer your question, because I've only read (but not played the adventure). But my number one opinion after reading that adventure is, man, Mearls can design an encounter. From the reading, there is one good encounter after another. The above posts seem to echo that sentiment.
If anything, the problem with PoS is that there are too many combat encounters. It's a big dungeon slog, for better or for worse. :)

A mini-town or somesuch somewhere inside the Pyramid would have helped a lot!

-O

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Too many combat encounters, definitely. I've reviewed the adventure on rpggeek, but it's currently down so I can't give you a link.

The Headless Corpse was our favourite encounter, though. It just works - one of the best solo monster encounters I've seen.

Cheers!

Daern

Explorer
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm thinking the Headless Corpse is the way to go, since the Head in this case is the head of a long time nemesis, so it should go over well. I'll post the outcome after the weekend.
I agree with everyone that there's a lot of great encounters, but especially with a group the meets irregularly, it seems like it would be a bad idea to keep them in there for long. (I had that happen with the Night Below Campaign-the players completely forgot why they were there.)
So I think I'm going to chop it up. The arborean encounter can easily become a wilderness situation... etc. Looking over it today, it made me think of the Dungeon Delve book.

Nebulous

Legend
Well, i'm going to start this in the next month or so once we wrap up Thunderspire. I hadn't planned on running PoS since i thought it looked TOO weird at first glance, but the more i delve into it, i'm actually intrigued now by that weirdness, and the tactical coolness of many encounters.

But i'm scrapping all the plot hooks and intro encounters and adding something else.

*SPOILERS for THUNDERSPIRE LABYRINTH*

Paldemar, the Mage of Saruun is of course the baddie in TL, and the party is getting ready to enter the Tower of Mystery. They've met him in person and he's tried to kill them once or twice, so they already hate him. Orontar, the other mage, is actually going WITH the party to help them pop a cap in his ass. Figuratively speaking, of course.

I'm going to make the Tower pretty hard, probably throw in some extra Brass Minotaurs, but Paldemars ultimate goal all along has been to open an extraplanar gateway to the Pyramid of Shadows and obtain an artifact of Vecna hidden there. So, if all goes well (and i'll probably have to massage this scene) Paldemar will haughtily escape the PCs, shout to them that his plan is complete and dare them to follow into this black pyramid that has suddenly formed behind a crumbling wall inside the Tower, a pyramid with a black sky full of rumbling clouds and streak lightning.

Paldemar's "Infernal Machine" to control the Brass Wardens is not as important as his opening a temporary portal to the Pyramid of Shadows. At some point, i will either kill Orontar or have him retreat back to the Hall of Seven Pillars.

Essentially, Paldemar will become a new faction inside the Pyramid, which will warp to his evil personality. I can probably fit him into an existing encounter with some modification and have the final battle with him ensue there. OR...maybe i can have him pop up occasionally, having allied with Karavakos or been killed by Karavakos. I don't know yet.

Remove ads