• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is the common theme of Twilight deities

DarkMoon250

Explorer
Light gods typically share a portfolio for things like beauty and warmth and sunlight. Grave deities are typically teachers of fate and acceptance, and keeping the sacred cycle of life to death and rebirth. Order deities foster law, whether that be of the political, ethical, or physical world.

Looking at the various gods on the Twilight Domain's list in Tasha's, the theme seems to go all over the place. Some benevolent gods of night/shade are included, but then we have gods of fire or the rising/midday sun, who have no business granting mystical nocturnal powers, and some like Helm and Yondalla that just seem to be there to for the sake of being there. I thought this class was supposed to be about escape from the harshness of bright light and hard work, rest and enjoying the dim and dark spaces.

I feel like there's an obvious link that I'm missing, but I'm too dumb to properly recognize it. If anyone could help me connect the dots, that'd be much appreciated [and while I'm here, explain why Twilights get Mislead and Trickerys don't].

Omand

Hero
Hello,

I cannot explain what the designers were thinking when they selected deities for the Twilight Domain, but the theme I took away from it was protection. The Twilight part does not necessarily refer to night, but can also refer to shadow or the dangerous unknown.

All of the deities listed for the domain, to my knowledge at least, have a major protective aspect to their portfolios. So, the benevolent night/shade deities automatically fit, the sun deities that create shade as part of their light and are not all about being bright and shiny fit in (perhaps the weakest part, but can be massaged) and then the general protective deities are there. I saw no issues with Helm, as he is all about protecting the common folk, and when are they most under threat? That is arguably at night. Yondalla also has a major protective aspect to her portfolio. She really is the Halfling deity. She is all about protecting her flock, and again, it is times of darkness (figurative and literal) that they are most in danger.

I agree that this is a bit more disjointed domain than many we have seen. It really is more about "Protection" than just twilight/night. Kind of a combination of various AU field tests, as they did send out a Protection domain in AU a few years back before Xanathar's was released.

Take it for what it is worth. I am sure others will have opinions.

I know that I have grabbed the domain for three different deities in my home-brew world due to the flavour and content. Still considering if I will associate it with a fourth deity.

Cheers :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads