• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the difference between push, pull, shift and slide?

sunmaster

First Post
Hi ,

There are four types of movement inducing powers : push , pull, shift and slide.

Example for push:
Tide of Iron: push 1 square.

Example for shift:
Fox cunning: Shift 1 square.

Example for slide:
Curse of dark dream : slide 3 squares.

Example for slide:
I canot find a power which lets the character slide. But "slide" is mentioned under "Stand your ground" for the dwarf fighter.

I hope someone can explain for me what are the differences between them.
For example, is a push a "must" and a slide a "can"? Or the other way around.
Are there saves against one type or even against all the types?
If there are names for each of the types - push, pull, slide, etc - then there have to be some differences, or not?

Then I hope someone can explain me the effects of these types: Can a push move you out of reach or can only a slide move you out of reach?
And other effects....

Disclaimer: I looked at the news_2008028.pdf but cannot explanations in it.
I read several threads about the Warlord and also about the movement rules but couldn't find explanations in them. This thread is _NOT_ about "good" or "bad" of these rules but it is only about the "how" and "why" - aka "understanding" -.

Crosswind

First Post
As I understand it:

Push - moves somebody away from you
Pull - moves somebody towards you
Slide - moves somebody else in any direction
Shift - moves you in any direction

-Cross (Edited to be less full of @#$%.)

Last edited:

Andur

First Post
Shift is something a character chooses to do. It is a a movement action that does not provoke AoO.

The other three are all done to another character. Push is away from the pusher, pull is towards the puller, and slide is any direction the slider desires.

hong

WotC's bitch
Push, pull and slide specifically do NOT provoke OAs, according to that nifty document that ThirdWizard put together.

Serdain

First Post
So you pull someone toward you... if it's in melee I assume you move back a square and they move back with you? with melee push do you follow after them?

hong

WotC's bitch
I haven't seen any examples of pulling in melee. If you push, I don't see why you'd have to follow them (with bull rush you have to, but that may not be the general rule).

Andur

First Post
Not unless the power states so. You can pull someone "past" you without moving, and you can shove someone away from you without moving. There are also ranged powers which allow all three types of actions, think telekinises basically...

sunmaster

First Post
Crosswind and Andur,
Thank you for your fast answers.

Can you tellme, where did you read about these differences?

EDIT: Aha, I just read in hoing's post that the source is a document made from a fan.
Okay, then this is solved.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Unless things are different in the RPG than in the miniatures game (which is entirely possible), you can't pull someone past you ... at that point it would be a push.

Each square of a pull has to move the target closer to the puller. Each square of a push has to move the target further from the pusher. In fact, you can't even use pull on an enemy adjacent to you, because there's nowhere to pull the enemy that is (1) closer to you, (2) without being the square you're in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads