• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the FONT they are using in KotS?

Lucius Drake

First Post
A fact that I find interesting, alluded to by Plane Sailing, is that it is only common usage that has these broad families of type being referred to as 'fonts'. Historically they are called typefaces, and every single different point size within that typeface is a new font, just as it is a different font both with and sans serif (the little lines that stick out from the tops of upper-case letter 'I" and so on).

If it were not for the existence of this thread, I would doubt that (m)any people would be as interested in that as I am. :D

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Teemu said:
Didn't WotC do a font of their own for 3e books too?

The font that was on the cover of all of the core books was custom, but it was never really a font. It was a series of .eps files you had to manipulate to create the word you were trying to create. It was really annoying.

I know because I did the CD booklet for the D&D Soundtrack. The fonts they used for the main body in the Core Books were Celestia Antiqua with the headers being done in Pterra. And yes, I'm a big font geek.

fissionessence

First Post
The 3e books used Celestia Antiqua, but they changed the numbers from the original font.

The fourth edition font for body copy is based on Mentor; I'm not sure what changes they made. They also made new fonts for their headers. The big page headers are in a font called DnDVecna, and the smaller title headings are in a font called DnDLolth.

I would love to get my hands on the Vecna & Lolth fonts so I don't have to recreate them myself :) Also I wonder what kind of regulations there are on using such recreated fonts in a third-party product. Although the real tough one would be the Mentor font, which is like $700-$800 for the full collection (italic, bold, etc.)

~ fissionessence

Remove ads