• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the hardest part of writing a TTRPG?

What is the hardest part of making a new TTRPG, lets say you are writing a D&D type/clone but not under any SRD, so a distinct piece of work.

Clearly the marketing, advertsing, selling, getting people to play your version of the game is the hardest part, ignore that though.

The actual design, writing, playtesting, balancing, artwork commissions, printing etc.

Lets say its the size of a 1st edition, D&D. What takes the longest.

I'm thinking maybe its the spells, coming up with something interesting and unique for however hundreds of spells that is.

What do you think is the hardest or takes the longest?

This is definitely going to vary from person to person a lot, depending on what they are good at. For me, the part that takes the longest is research and turning research into content, when a game requires that (obviously some games are less research heavy than others). Writing also takes a long time, but it is something that gets easier and easier and, if you are doing it for a living or professionally, is usually the part you enjoy. Also the dirty work of vetting mechanics can be time consuming and hard (you really need to organize this in the right way). But I would say research and turning research into content in the game is the longest and hardest, simply because you don't have the same liberty to invent with that. Sometimes you really need a particular piece of information to movie forward on a game, and if finding that information takes you weeks or months, that can be a slog. It is enjoyable though.

Stuff like coming up with lists of spells, powers, etc, I find pretty fun and easy. I think the more you do that, the easier it gets.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Differentiating yourself from other systems on the market.
This requires a solid vision of how your game differs; it requires marketing to let people understand how it is different, and it requires game design skills to make sure it really is different.

Your game must compete against the alternative; a GM will take your concept and just port it into their favorite system. To be successful, you must provide enough novel content so it is more time-effective to use your system, rather than add content to their favorite system.
This. I worked on a rule set for almost 2 years then realized it was basically just Dungeon Crawl Classics with a tweak here and there.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This. I worked on a rule set for almost 2 years then realized it was basically just Dungeon Crawl Classics with a tweak here and there.
Yep. I've tweaked various editions of D&D over the years but it never quite sat right. Dozens and dozens of pages of house rules. Rewriting subsystem after subsystem. Tearing out systems and rebuilding them. Starting and stopping my own heartbreakers a dozen or more times. Then I found Dungeon Crawl Classics. My house rules for that fit on both sides of an index card. It's not perfect, nothing ever is, but it's so spot on...so flavorful...it just sings. That's how I want to run and play fantasy RPGs. Not always dungeon crawls, but dangerous magic, pacts with vile supernatural beings that always collect, slow healing, warrior's Deeds, the dangers of magic, etc. chef's kiss

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Differentiating yourself from other systems on the market.
This requires a solid vision of how your game differs; it requires marketing to let people understand how it is different, and it requires game design skills to make sure it really is different.

Your game must compete against the alternative; a GM will take your concept and just port it into their favorite system. To be successful, you must provide enough novel content so it is more time-effective to use your system, rather than add content to their favorite system.
Or go the other way and intentionally provide the stellar content that can be ported to another system. Systems and tweaks are a dime-a-dozen. Imaginative settings, memorable stories, thrilling adventures, engaging NPCs...that's where it's at. I think.

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
What is the hardest part of making a new TTRPG, lets say you are writing a D&D type/clone but not under any SRD, so a distinct piece of work.

Clearly the marketing, advertsing, selling, getting people to play your version of the game is the hardest part, ignore that though.

The actual design, writing, playtesting, balancing, artwork commissions, printing etc.

I'm thinking maybe its the spells, coming up with something interesting and unique for however hundreds of spells that is.

Spending hundreds, thousands of hours making something and understanding that much of your blood, sweat, and tears will be scrutinized, excoriated, then sent to the chopping block so you can bury Ted, your old idea, and replace him with Fred, your new idea.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Pleasing everybody, all the time. Especially if you publish. I've learned to be happy that enough people like my little games to offer foreign language translations (with my permission). That makes me feel like I've created something worthwhile.

clearstream

(He, Him)

Playtesting.

My vote is on playtesting, marketing and illustrations, because I cannot do them myself (at least not with sufficient quality).
Designing and writing are hard and painful, but at least I don't depend on other people for it (finishing a long document is quite painful indeed, though).

kenada

Legend
Supporter

Making a D&D-like without using an SRD strikes me a lot of work (which I say because I am hacking on an existing SRD for my homebrew game, and that’s still a non-trivial amount of work). It seems like doing a different kind of game would be easier.

To answer your question, I would expect editing to be the hardest. I’m sure we’ve all got games that are too verbose and wordy for their own good (PF2 and WWN come to mind for me). Trimming things down while keeping them clear isn’t easy, especially if you have hard limits e.g., because you are designing around a specific layout.

Remove ads