• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the most overlooked rule in dnd?

KB9JMQ

First Post
In my games (both the ones I play in and DM (same group)) the most ignored is Massive Damage. We never think about it.
Encumbrance is watched pretty good for 5 levels or so but after that we tend to forget about it, with Bags of Holding and Handy Haversacks etc being popular items.

I will have to rethink the Cleric focus bit. I always us a necklace as a Holy Symbol and figured if I was wearing it, it was being used. Have to see what my players think of that one.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
KB9JMQ said:
I will have to rethink the Cleric focus bit. I always us a necklace as a Holy Symbol and figured if I was wearing it, it was being used. Have to see what my players think of that one.

THat's how I would rule it, as well. Athough to turn undead, the symbol must be strongly presented.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Clerics Are Cheaters

Serious question here on overlooked rules: If some DM"s are allowing clerics and druids to mount or paint their holy symbols on their shields, can wizards and sorcerers do the same thing? Can they mount or paint spell components onto their staff (or dagger for that matter) and use it the same way?

jh
Cleric players are cheaters ;)

Sejs

First Post
DethStryke said:
to further illustrate PSH's point (break out the big crayons for those keeping score at home), you require one hand free for somatic components (hand gestures). Take another look at those Divine spell descriptions. Now consider the ones that require a Divine Focus (holy symbol) AND Somatic components...

How do you hold a holy symbol, have a hand free for the somatic component, hold a morning star / mace / any weapon at all, AND a light/med/heavy/tower shield all at the same time?

Welcome to the land of cheese or constant butterfingers. ;)

Light shields and bucklers are strapped to the forearm, leaving the hand free to do other things.

Material components, foci, and divine foci have no stipulation that they have to be manipulated to be used. The somatic component entry states you have to have at least one hand free to cast a spell with said components, the material component and by extention the focus and divine focus entries which refer back to it, do not.

So you don't clutch your holy symbol in one hand, gesture with the other, etc. The holy symbol just needs to be present. The heavier shields issue does stand, though. Either you've got a buckler or light shield and a weapon, or you've got a heavy or tower shield and an open hand.

Olorion

First Post
let me add some:
- crit hits and sneak attacks in concealment
- -6 on Jump checks for slower races
- if you attempt a Jump check untrained, you land PRONE unless you beat the DC by 5 or more

airwalkrr

Adventurer
R-man said:
General upkeep rules are not presently in D&D, i.e. taking time to bang out the dents in your armor and sharpen your sword etc. And the above poster reminded me that we have never made mention of doing this, if only for the Rollplaying aspect.

They are not explicit, but they are implied. All humanoids must eat and sleep and there are starvation and dehydration rules. Therefore your PCs should be eating and drinking regularly and probably having a place to stay. Most DMs hand-waive these things as minor expenses and ignore them IME. However, there is an upkeep rule that is presented as a variant in the DMG (page 130) which is the rule to which I was referring. As for banging out the dents in your armor, there are no rules for reparing items which I know of, although I would presume it would simply require an amount of materials commensurate to the fraction of hit points missing from the piece of equipment in question and a Craft check. Many items get damaged, especially on situations like rolling a 1 on a save.

MarkB

Legend
DethStryke said:
to further illustrate PSH's point (break out the big crayons for those keeping score at home), you require one hand free for somatic components (hand gestures). Take another look at those Divine spell descriptions. Now consider the ones that require a Divine Focus (holy symbol) AND Somatic components...

How do you hold a holy symbol, have a hand free for the somatic component, hold a morning star / mace / any weapon at all, AND a light/med/heavy/tower shield all at the same time?

Welcome to the land of cheese or constant butterfingers. ;)
I don't recall if the PHB is different, but the SRD doesn't specify how Focus or Divine Focus components are used in spellcasting. Unless the spell description specifically mentions manipulating a divine focus in some fashion, I would consider it sufficient for the caster to have it prominently displayed on his person.

Kid Charlemagne said:
satori01 said:
Death from Massive damage.
As I recall, that's an optional rule, anyway.
It was presented as an optional rule in 3.0, but it's part of the core rules in 3.5. Our group has always preferred to ignore it.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Emirikol said:
Serious question here on overlooked rules: If some DM"s are allowing clerics and druids to mount or paint their holy symbols on their shields, can wizards and sorcerers do the same thing? Can they mount or paint spell components onto their staff (or dagger for that matter) and use it the same way?

I never allow anything of the sort, although I see people in other DMs' campaigns do this all the time. I think it is ridiculous. As another poster already stated, clerics are powerful enough.

I think we are all in agreement that clerics need a hand free to cast. The most important question regarding the holy symbol, however, imho, is whether or not it must simply be worn and displayed prominently or actually held by the caster. If it must be held, then the cleric must have both hands free to cast most cleric spells. Try as I might though, I can't find any reference in the PH that states a divine caster must hold the focus in hand to cast.

Ambrus

Explorer
Here's one I've never heard of anyone using aside from people IMC:

Allowing DC 30 Knowledge (arcana) or Spellcraft skill checks to identify magic items. (DMG 3.5, page 212)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads