• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the penalty to attack with 2 weapons....

Otterscrubber

First Post
if you are not a 2 weapon ranger but want to use a scimitar in each hand to make use of scimitar dance? I have a marauder build and want to use scimitar dance, but other than getting a double scimitar (which only does 1d6 damage which is terrible) I'm wondering what penalties to hit I have with using 2 scimitars.

*Edit: And why does scimitar dance have to be with scimitars.......?

*Edit #2: Bascially I have a marauder ranger that I'd like to be doing more damage with his off hand, but it seems hard. I have found that it is difficult to move and do damage, it just isn't practical and hard to do every round. As a result I'm trying to increase my DPR and it is hard with only 1d6 in my off hand. Also as it turns out I'm pretty much the tank in my group so I'm doing everything I can to up my AC to help me survive as I find I am unduly targeted due to a lack of a defender in our group. makes things interesting but I'd like to be able to survive and still dish out some good damage. Scimitar dance seemed like a good way to do this, but it's looking like more work than it's worth.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
if you are not a 2 weapon ranger but want to use a scimitar in each hand to make use of scimitar dance? I have a marauder build and want to use scimitar dance, but other than getting a double scimitar (which only does 1d6 damage which is terrible) I'm wondering what penalties to hit I have with using 2 scimitars.
The scimitar dance feat doesn't have anything to do with dual-wielding. You just do Dex damage on a miss. Not everyone gets to use two weapons to make multiple attacks as in previous additions. You need a power that grants them, which you get from ranger, fighter, and barbarian builds. If you don't have the ranger's two-weapon combat style, you also need that off-hand weapon to have the "off-hand" property, which a scimitar does not have.

*Edit: And why does scimitar dance have to be with scimitars.......?
There are all kinds of feats that apply only to certain types of attacks. I could just as easily ask why I can't use Astral Fire with cold attacks. The intention is to allow for greater character variation so that, for instance, not every ranger who picks two-weapon combat style will be identical to each other.

If your real question is why you can't use it with any type of heavy blade--well, scimitars suck compared to longswords. Which is annoying but kind of moot, because superior weapons dominate the scene, and the bastard sword will be seen far more often than either of those weapons.

I believe I'm also supposed to spew some snark about Drizz't clones at this point, but I'll pass. :)

*Edit #2: Bascially I have a marauder ranger that I'd like to be doing more damage with his off hand, but it seems hard. I have found that it is difficult to move and do damage, it just isn't practical and hard to do every round. As a result I'm trying to increase my DPR and it is hard with only 1d6 in my off hand. Also as it turns out I'm pretty much the tank in my group so I'm doing everything I can to up my AC to help me survive as I find I am unduly targeted due to a lack of a defender in our group. makes things interesting but I'd like to be able to survive and still dish out some good damage. Scimitar dance seemed like a good way to do this, but it's looking like more work than it's worth.
The maurauder ranger is a little tricky to pull off. You'll need high Strength, not Dex, so you'll have bad AC unless you feat yourself into some heavy armor. You also don't get the benefit of using just any ol' one-handed weapon in your off-hand, so your damage goes down (but is still pretty disgusting). The intent of the build is to mix melee and ranged attacks, mainly through using a weapon in your off-hand that can be thrown. 1d6 is about as good as you're going to get without forfeiting that thrown property, and looking into superior weapons (like double-ended-weapons).

I hate to be one of those people that you always see on ENWorld who constantly tell people not to do what they want to do, but you do have a tough row to hoe without a defender to support this build.

Last edited:

Mort_Q

First Post
The penalty is that you can't do it.

Ranger powers that use two weapons generally require one of the weapons to have the off-hand keyword, at least by RAW.

Gruns

Explorer
You can't!

but if I am a maurading ranger, and I decide to use 2 regular sized weapons rather than a regular and an off hand, what is the penalty?

You can't even use a Scimitar in the off hand. You can only use weapons with the "Off-Hand' trait in the off hand, unless you happen to be a ranger that took the Two Blade Fighting Style. I'm sure there are probably some Paragon Paths out there that allow this too. Maybe.
However, as someone pointed out, you don't need a scimitar in your off hand to use Scimitar Dance.
And if you really want more damage, there are numerous better options out there, particularly in the Paragon tier.
Later!
Gruns

Mort_Q

First Post
You can't even use a Scimitar in the off hand.

That's not technically true.

A Marauding Ranger (any PC actually) can have a Scimitar in each hand, and attack with either with no penalty... he just can't attack with both with the same power in most cases (Twin-Strike Tornado, Ranger Attack 29 is an exception) as most Ranger attack powers that utilize two weapons require one of the weapons to be off-hand.

There is no handedness. There are no rules about using two one-handed weapons. Off-hand only exists when a power calls for it.

... unless you happen to be a ranger that took the Two Blade Fighting Style.

This, as you know, allows you to 'wield a one-handed weapon in your off hand as if it were an off-hand weapon.' You can read a lot into this, but this just adds the off-hand keyword so they can use the powers that call for it... nothing else.

Otterscrubber

First Post
that makes sense, thank you for the clarification. I was a bit vague on what is stopping a ranger using it, i didn't even think to regard the off-hand trait as a trait, simply a meaning for 2nd weapon, which is it not. Khopesh's look nice these days then for someone to who wants to use both a heavy weapon and an axe for pusposes of feats and such. Too bad I can't retrain out of my styles I now think that a 2 weapon ranger is better for what I want over a maurader ranger. Although I do like charging.

Mort_Q

First Post
Using a one-handed weapon as if it were off-hand gets you slightly more damage and Toughness is great and all, but there are other ways to get/do both.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
That's not technically true.

A Marauding Ranger (any PC actually) can have a Scimitar in each hand, and attack with either with no penalty... he just can't attack with both with the same power in most cases (Twin-Strike Tornado, Ranger Attack 29 is an exception) as most Ranger attack powers that utilize two weapons require one of the weapons to be off-hand.

There is no handedness. There are no rules about using two one-handed weapons. Off-hand only exists when a power calls for it.

No. An off-hand weapon has the property that you can hold it while attacking with another weapon, or attack with it while holding another weapon.

If you are holding two weapons, neither of which has that property, you cannot attack with either of them, afaict (or you must declare one of them main-hand, and can attack with that, I'm unsure)
phb1 said:
Off-Hand: An off-hand weapon is light enough
that you can hold it and attack effectively with it
while holding a weapon in your main hand. You can’t
attack with both weapons in the same turn, unless
you have a power that lets you do so, but you can
attack with either weapon.

Handedness exists at all times:

Two-Blade Fighting Style: Because of your
focus on two-weapon melee attacks, you can wield a
one-handed weapon in your off hand as if it were an
off-hand weapon. (Make sure to designate on your
character sheet which weapon is main and which is offhand.)
In addition, you gain Toughness as a bonus feat.

Last edited:

Remove ads