• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the Population of Waterdeep?

Chaoszero

First Post
Neither Waterdeep nor Baldur's Gate have populations listed in the 4e Campaign Guide, and I can't go by the 3e guide as 4e says the populations of both cities have fluxed much.

I understand the populations aren't printed to allow the DM to use his initiative and make it up, but I don't know the realms and the most appropriate population figures well enough.

Someone who knows the realms give me their best estimate!

Bumbles

First Post
As I recall, the Waterdeep of old had a population in the hundred thousand plus range, going up to half a million or more at times, depending on the count, like with outlying territories.

That said, I don't know what the 4e Realms Waterdeep is like. For all I know it's two.

Chaoszero

First Post
For those who care - This is the top eleven most populated cities in the 4e Campaign Guide.

Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate and Luskan are not on the list, because their populations were not published. So assume Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate are the actual no 1. and no. 2.

1. Darromar in Tethyr (pop. 125,000
2. Athkatla in Amn (pop. 122,000)
3. Eltabbar in Thay (pop. 100,000)
4. Zazesspur in Tethyr (pop. 100,000)
5. Chavyondat in Estagrund (pop. 80,000)
6. Riatavin in Tethyr (pop. 80,000)
7. Alaghon in Turmish (pop. 75,000)
8. Veltalar in Aglarond (pop. 70,000)
9. Calimport in Calimshan (pop. 60,000)
10. Leuthilspar in Evermeet (pop. 60,000)
11. Selgaunt in Sembia (pop. 60,000)

I'm surprised they're as big as they are. Much bigger than european cities back in the day (so my sources tell me). Tethyr seems to win the Biggest Cities Award.

Cyronax

Explorer
Baldur's Gate is actually supposed to have the bigger population now in 4e. I roughly remember a designer saying that it had swelled to a million -- possibly including outlying areas.

C.I.D.

Remove ads