• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the proper pronunciation of "Grognard"?

Atavar

First Post
Hello Everyone,

With the Latest Announcement(tm) comes a lot of "grognard" talk. I think I grock it's meaning, but I don't know how to pronounce it.

I've been saying it phonetically, but when I do that it sounds like I am referring to the left testicle of a half-orc named Grog.

So, how does one pronounce "grognard"?

Thanks,

Atavar

Atavar said:
I've been saying it phonetically, but when I do that it sounds like I am referring to the left testicle of a half-orc named Grog.

Then you're saying it right. Just stress the r a bit more. Grog-narrrrrrd. Not grog-nad.

SavageRobby

First Post
Its "groan-yar", pretty much.

Interestingly enough, this was a word in the last national spelling bee. I had known it to mean "old soldier", but it was originally specific to Napoleon.

Odhanan

Adventurer
groan-yar indeed, with the "oan" sound a bit briefer than the word "groan" and a "a" as in "fat".

I'm French, by the way.

JDJblatherings

First Post
SavageRobby said:
Its "groan-yar", pretty much.

Interestingly enough, this was a word in the last national spelling bee. I had known it to mean "old soldier", but it was originally specific to Napoleon.

Grognards were the veteran soldiers who served under Napoleon, always complaining about junior officers, new recruits, discipline, the quality of the food, the sewing that went into uniforms and pretty much everything else.

It's French, so the proper pronunciation is nearly impossible to write out for a native English speaker.

It's kinda like "grongyahr". But of course those aren't English r's, they're French r's, which is not a sound that really exists in English. Though of course it varies by dialect (of both English and French).

Remove ads