What is the single best thread of all time?

Mad_Jack

Legend
I may be a bit biased, since I was one of the major posters in the threads, but the old WotC D&D forums had the What Do YOU think My Character Looks Like? threads...
They started out as people giving general descriptions (class, level, age, personality, etc.) of their characters and folks posting pics of what they thought that character might look like physically, but then some of us began modifying the images we posted, and it eventually evolved into a find/make-me-a-character-pic thread.

Multiple threads each hundreds of pages long, and out of all of them there were only three or four negative posts by this one particular idiot...

Riley

Legend
I absolutely adored watching this 3/31/2008 moderator/admin/owner flame war [April Fool's performance art] unfold:

Rel's OD&D 4 me (April Fool's)

Morrus:
Rel, you really should know better. This is not a 4E thread. I'm moving it to General.

Really, I don't have time to babysit you.

Rel:
Um, boss, you'll note that I used the number "4" right in the thread title. I thought it was pretty obvious that this was an explanation of my going in a direction other than 4e and was thus relevant to that forum. As you say, you're pressed for time, so you probably didn't read it that closely. I'll slide it back over where it belongs. No hard feelings.

Piratecat:
Enough. I've put up with that for eight years. Diaglo, start your own damn website if you want to spout off about OD&D. But I don't see how it's the least bit appropriate for this thread.

Meanwhile, my apologies, folks. I'd like to see certain moderators in the Mod forum, please. We clearly have some discussion about how we handle moderation.

and on. and on. and on. IIRC there was a temporary website or subsite created in the process. There were definitely bans and a purported coup.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
On a NFL site I visit, we did a fantasy draft of artists, scientists, inventors, etc....and then voted on the best. You had to pick some women and there were other rules I can't recall. It was fun, and I learned a lot. I loved my team, but can't recall who I had other than Madame Curie.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I nominate "So long and thanks for all the fish". A ragequit thread that was hijacked by the community and built upon into a very fun (and long) comedy.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Before there was the AITA reddit, I remember the "milk" thread at Paizo. Player came to the forum for help with a situation with his gaming group. The player would bring donuts to every session, and help himself to a glass of milk from the host's fridge. Player never asked if this was all right, just assumed since they brought donuts. Finally, host asks player not to drink their milk anymore and bring their own. Despite the donuts being community, nobody else would partake. Player still felt entitled to milk and so helped themselves again. Host became angry and game group was on hiatus. Player would never back down, felt completely entitled and in the right.

That was how the "dont drink the GM's milk" meme was born.

Remove ads