What is the single best single comic book issue of all time?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It was later repackaged as a single issue (not a trade paperback) so I think it qualifies.

Yup, it sitting on my shelf and I had just checked it thinking about my own choice.. :) Future Imperfect (have one) and iirc Days of Future Past (don't have) also have single combined issue printings too. So that opens up quite a few contenders.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
These are two pages from the Green Lantern issue that I mentioned above. It is by Denny O'Neil and Neil Adams. Ollie was shot on a previous page by a junkie with an arrow Ollie left behind somewhere (The panel on the left is one of my favorite page sequence of all time). The story is actually two-issues, but this issue is my favorite (It also has a great cover)
1693362891521.png

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Yup, it sitting on my shelf and I had just checked it thinking about my own choice.. :) Future Imperfect (have one) and iirc Days of Future Past (don't have) also have single combined issue printings too. So that opens up quite a few contenders.
Does an Original Graphic Novel qualify, light God Loves, Man Kills or Batman: Night Cries?

Separately: I know it doesn't stand on its own, but Watchmen #4 is one of my favorite things ever made.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Does an Original Graphic Novel qualify, light God Loves, Man Kills or Batman: Night Cries?

Separately: I know it doesn't stand on its own, but Watchmen #4 is one of my favorite things ever made.

I would count the floppy Marvel Graphic novels like God Love's Man Kill's from back when. How big is Night Cries? Some things published originally as a lot longer than an oversized issue I wouldn't count.

It feels cruel to have to pick just one Watchmen issue!!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hmmmm... off the top of my head, I would pick either the X-Men graphic novel, "God Loves, Man Kills" or Green Lantern (/Green Arrow) vol.2 #85 "Snowbirds Don't Fly".
Claremont can sometimes get really self-indulgent, but "God Loves, Man Kills" knocked me on my ass. It's even more amazing considering it was published in 1982, years before the genre-redefining stuff to come over the next few years. (It's four years before Frank Miller's career-defining turns on Daredevil and Batman, for instance.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They were only published as complete stories, so I'd say they count.
I think you could give "The Watchmaker" to someone and they could enjoy it on its own. It's a wonderful little science fiction short story, even snipped out of context of the rest of the series.

I'm not really big into comics, but I like Mignola's Hellboy quite a bit, so I nominate Hellboy: The Island #1-2. If for no other reason, then for the very memorable line: "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons!".

aco175

Legend
1693395146943.png

#75 was the final sacrifice of Superman to stop Doomsday..... Until the spin-offs with all the new supermen/boys. I remember it was a pre internet frenzy.

1693395349661.png

I had the graphic novels already, but this issue sets up the whole run with the destruction of the forest and backstabbing by the trolls to wind up wandering the desert.

Remove ads