• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the Sundering?

YRUSirius

First Post
If you got any news from the "What is the Sundering?" Gencon seminar, please share it here.

What will this Realms Shaking Event entail? What will happen? Reboot? Retcon? Seperation of Toril and Abeir? Seperation of Pre-Spellplague and Post-Spellplague realms?

Any news? Please post it here. I'm interested. :)

-YRUSirius

jsaving

Adventurer
Drizzt awakens to discover that the "Sundering" of Realms continuity has ended and the last 140-odd years were simply a bad dream?

delericho

Legend
During the switch to 4e, didn't they justify a whole lot of the changes as it being Abeir re-merging with Toril? In which case, if they're wanting to reverse a lot of those changes to make things 'right', that could suggest that the Sundering is, broadly speaking, just a matter of the two splitting again.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
My guess is that something terrible and world destroying will occur as a result of the merging of Abeir and Toril. Great wars and disasters will occur, the two worlds will be separated again, and we'll discover that the future is also the past and the Forgotten Realms is a circular history. Thus, the Sundering is the last Realms Shattering Event because it's also the first one.

fba827

Adventurer
perhaps it involves a hatch, some numbers, a smoke monster, and a cork? while drizzt and elminster play a game of white and black stones... no wait, that would just be ridiculous... :D

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
The Sundering is a disaster of "biblical" proportions.

Real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

FR is Manhattan, Ed Greenwood is the STA-PUFF Marshmallow man, Mearls is Zuul, Piratecat is Ray Stantz, and James Wyatt is... Louis Tully.

jsaving

Adventurer
My guess is that something terrible and world destroying will occur as a result of the merging of Abeir and Toril. Great wars and disasters will occur, the two worlds will be separated again, and we'll discover that the future is also the past and the Forgotten Realms is a circular history.
Sundering implies a splitting-apart, and all joking aside, what could be a more natural meaning for "The Sundering" than a splitting-apart of Abeir and Toril? And with the merge bearing primary responsibility (at least in-game) for a host of flavor changes that divided Realms fans, perhaps an end to the merge would allow WotC to bring back some of the old flavor without decreeing that the last 100+ years of Realms continuity never happened.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Sundering implies a splitting-apart, and all joking aside, what could be a more natural meaning for "The Sundering" than a splitting-apart of Abeir and Toril?

The 'Sundering' logo (displayed at 43:00 in the video of the Keynote address - I took a snapshot of it, but apparently I can't embed it here) certainly seems to imply pulling two worlds apart.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads