What is *worldbuilding* for?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think I understand the question. When you ask "are they free to engage in those", are you asking about the scope of permissible action declarations? In which case it will depend on the details of the action in question, and whether the fictional positioning supports them.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "follow the situation you set up that forces those choices." When Xanthos says to Xialath, "Vecna and I are going to conquer Rel Astra in the name of the Great Kingdom. If you join with us, we'll make sure you're awarded a magistracy once Rel Astra is ours," Xialath has to do something in response. The obvious possibilities are to agree to join with them in exchange for the prize (as happened in my game), or to refuse the offer (in which case the PCs presumably find themselves at war - not unheard of in that campaign). There's also scope to try and negotiate for some change in the offer (and maybe Xialath did extract additional concessions - I don't remember all the details anymore).

In the post that I quoted, you said that the situation forced some choices. Then you said that to conquer the world, the PC has to join Vecna. If he has to join Vecna to succeed, that eliminates any other way to achieve that goal. However, there may be possible ways to achieve that goal without joining Vecna. If the player can see one of those ways, is he forced to join Vecna to succeed, or can he attempt another route?

But Xialath's player doesn't have any authority to just stipulate that Xanthos has not asked that question; or that Vecna is not, in fact, planning an assault on Rel Astra.

It wasn't clear from the post I quoted that it was a PC question to another PC. You said you established the situation that forced choices and then just listed the second player joining the first player in order to become magistrate.

pemerton

Legend
In the post that I quoted, you said that the situation forced some choices.
Yes: the player has to choose to ally with Vecna (helps with world domination, bad for his hometown) or choose to stay loyal to his city (doesn't betray his hometown, but puts a bit of a roadblock in his plans for world domination).

Then you said that to conquer the world, the PC has to join Vecna. If he has to join Vecna to succeed, that eliminates any other way to achieve that goal. However, there may be possible ways to achieve that goal without joining Vecna.
In the abstract, sure. In practice, turning against Vecna at this point probably means that the immediate focus of play is going to be on dealing with the fallout from that, and perhaps trying to save Rel Astra from Vecna's attempt to conquer it.

Given that play time is finite, and given that - up to this point - the player had put his PC's eggs in the Vecna basket, hoping to find some other path to world domination would be likely to be a rather long-term thing. More realistic would be to try and find a way to wriggle out of the hard choice by somehow persuading Vecna to turn away from Rel Astra - although as best I recall I don't think the player tried that, because (again, as best I recall) he was happy to have the offer of a magistracy as a lure to bring the other PC back into compliance with his and Vecna's goals. (That other PC had been getting a little "unreliable" in the view of the Vecna-allied PC.)

pemerton

Legend
The GM (you in this context) could have chosen to not allow them to matter. Making those choices matter is within the domain of the GM, not the players (in the majority of systems). Assuming you were playing some form of D&D, then it is absolutely within the domain of the GM and not the players.
Well, to me this is like saying I could start each session by hurling personal abuse at the players. I mean, I guess so, but that would probably be the end of the game.

The campaign I'm starting about was deliberately started as the upshot of a player revolt against a GM who was not interested in even a hint of player-driven RPGing. So it was understood from the start of the campaign that the players' concerns/focuses/desires/themes for their PCs would be an element of play. As I said, this was a club campaign, and so over time players come and go. New players were attracted because they knew that this was a campaign which was player-driven in that sort of way.

The system used was RM, which doesn't have formal devices for establishing player signals like (say) Fate or Burning Wheel. But that doesn't change the facts about the actual play of the game and the expectations of the participants.

Players come to you, they want to Explore Ancient Ruins.
You, the DM, decide to let them explore some ancient ruins. But you don't have a good idea for which ones, so you solicit ideas from your players.
Your players provide you with ideas, material, or whole APs worth of ruins they could explore.
You, the DM pick through those, perhaps getting votes of approval on which ones the players like the most.

Who had final authorship in this scenario? The DM. All player contributions are filtered through the DM.
You've just described a process whereby the GM chairs a meeting, doesn't seem to have actually cast a vote, and the result of the meeting is that someone else's idea is adopted. I don't see that as a case of GM authorship. The resulting ancient ruins aren't the GM's broth. Someone else cooked it - the players who provided the ideas and material.

(Even if I grant that the GM has veto power - and that's not clear in your example and not straightforwardly true in the campaign I ran - I don't think that changes it. To give an example drawn from political practice, the fact that the President could have vetoed a bill that passes both chambers, and didn't, doesn't mean that the president is the author of the bill and the legislators were not its authors.)

EDIT:

There is a practical, gameplay-related reason to put the GM in charge of actually deciding how particular elements are introduced into the shared fiction (as framing, as consequences, etc), namely, the Czege Principle:

The “Czege principle” is a proposition by Paul Czege that it’s not exciting to play a roleplaying game if the rules require one player to both introduce and resolve a conflict. It’s not a theorem but rather an observation; where and how and why it holds true is an ongoing question of some particular interest.​

There are posters in this thread - eg [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION], [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION], [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] - who give less credence to this than I do. And I'm certainly happy to admit to being very conservative in my approach to RPGing as far as this matter is concerned. So I am the one who decides that Vecna's plans include conquering Rel Astra; that isn't the result of taking a poll of my players. But it is the player who has made Vecna's plans for conquering anything actually of relevance to play; and it is the player who has made Rel Astra matter, by establishing his character as (to whatever degree) a Rel Astran patriot.

This is a practical illustration of something I posted about upthread: that player agency over the content of the shared fiction can manifest not only in the outcomes of successful action declaration, but also in the contribution of material that is used by the GM in framing situations and narrating consequences.

Last edited:

I agree that the player moves not being limited except by the shared fiction is a significant part of what distinguishes a RPG from a boardgame.

But with bricking up the hobgoblins we also start to see possible limits. The players have an infinite number of ways of provoking the GM to tell them new stuff. But if it is the GM who is deciding what all that stuff is, I'm not sure that there is a lot of player agency there.

Systems like reaction rolls, morale checks etc help fill the gap here, but you can see them breaking down even in Gygax's DMG, as he gives advice on how different sorts of dungeon inhabitants will respond to incursions with that advice being largely divorced from the game's social mechanics, and relying very heavily on GM extrapolation of the fiction. I can accept that free kriegsspiel is a thing, but once we're at the level of bricking up hobgoblin tunnels, or assassinating kings, I feel that we've moved beyond a referee model - an independent narrator of knowable consequences of player moves - to a situation of one party (the "storyteller"?) having the authority to establish the content of the fiction that results from action declarations.

In my view, this is the impetus behind systems like skill challenges, or "stakes"-type approaches to resolution, which try to reintroduce finality of outcome into these sorts of situations. And of course there are less perfect systems too - I've used RM's rather feeble social mechanics to establish finality in social resolution, and I'm sure there's a way of using reaction and morale mechanics to adjudicate the hobgoblin's response to the wall.

Yeah, and I agree that things like 4e SCs and even the reaction/morale/loyalty rules of classic D&D are attempts to fill that gap. I think a LOT of 4e in its entirety can be interpreted as an attempt to fill that gap with at least strong hints and guidelines. I'd note that this was very much interpreted when 4e came out as a way to increase player agency within the game! In fact, at that time, the argument was pretty much "player agency is a bad thing, GMs should have absolute power and use it!" to paraphrase most of what was said on the GA forum at the 4e WotC boards.

I also agree that this was all a natural evolution of the movement of the game from dungeon maze puzzle to a vehicle for heroic action stories of a generalized nature. Once the actions of the PCs are played out on a wider stage things get VERY open-ended really fast. OD&D (and certainly 1e) can still handle the B2 hobgoblin scenario as you suggest, using the morale rules, but it still leaves a LOT of open territory.

Now, more 'classical' DMs might well take hints from their players and the sorts of equipment, backstory, previous activities, etc. in order to draw in elements that speak to those player's desires (and thus dramatic needs of their PCs which those desires may express). Of course this technique is not really defined or often well-understood in classic D&D play. I mean, I didn't understand it in any formal sense until 10 years ago, even after GMing all sorts of games for many years, and often using those techniques.

I think its hard to judge what people are doing in such situations. Imprecise language is used, and analysis is lacking. You are probably correct, along with [MENTION=6682826]CH[/MENTION]auchou, in trying to get everyone to clarify and get on a page about terminology and meta-theory, but it obviously won't happen. Still, I think most really successful GMs have had to learn to bend somehow and address the things that, at least their more demanding players, want.

Yes, I was being silly with my example. It was an extreme. However, it seems like it could happen in the type of game Pemerton is advocating. Not that it should happen...I’m sure he’d say something about the scene being framed properly and the players having clear ideas on genre and setting....but that’s kind of the point, I think.

Whatever playstyle any of us want to advocate, it’s possible to describe a crappy example of play. And to then use that example to criticize the entire playstyle.

I was really tired of this vague contextual-less map example, so I gave an equally crappy example of play with pretty specific context most of us woukd understand.

I honestly don’t have any issue with his stance that there can be more player agency in his type of game. Certainly the ability to author some fictional elements through actuon declaration increases player agency. I get that. I don’t even think it’s controversial so much as the way it’s presented seems to be rubbing folks the wrong way.

But I also think that framing scenes can also limit player agency. Would you agree with that? My understanding of the term is that it’s the GM trying to force a decision by a player, right? To go where the action is. Here’s the situation, what do you do?

So I feel like it’s really just a matter of which playstyle promotes agency in what way. Or limits it in what way. It’s not this binary “you allow player agency or else you’re just reading then a story” insult that’s being put forth.

Yeah, I think it is fair to say that each style of play includes and excludes some sorts of games. In a game run by [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] its not likely that the PCs will spend a lot of time futzing around, wandering the countryside trying to find something to do, or just watching the world go by. OTOH they won't likely see their successes undone and they likely will find that the game focuses on their backstory elements and whatever deeds they seem to be intent on. In a more 'classic sandbox' sort of game that wouldn't be true. There the game might end up with a focus on the player's interests because THEY would move to some point of interest to them.

In the end I almost think that each style of play, if well-executed, leads to some interesting focus of play by different paths, which seems to me to be what you're getting at. In [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s game the whole thing is ABOUT the PCs, the game will always revolve around them and bring action to them. In some other game, maybe [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s, the characters will have to track down or systematically initiate what they're interested in, and then clearly that will be a focus.

There's still the issue of how direct the focus on player interests is. IMHO in the older classic process there were a LOT of possible ways things would often go off the rails. It really is hard to avoid the GM driving play. Most mediocre DMs will end up doing that to one extent or another. OTOH if you follow a narrativist/story telling kind of process, like Pemerton's scene-framing approach, you'd be at least focused on the PCs, and they would be relating to the player's interests directly. It could still be done badly, and I guess one question is which is really the easier process to execute? I don't really know an answer to that, except it would be best in each case to have a system where that process is made very explicit. D&D never did that really well.

I'd let the Kant reference just go through to the keeper - I'm not the biggest fan (either of the metaphysics or the moral theory); but nothing very central to Kantians seemed to be at issue in this thread.

But now I'm curious - is there some Kantian subtext that I'm missing?

Subtext? In essence there is Philosophy BEFORE Kant, and Philosophy AFTER Kant, there is no fundamental element of it that Kant doesn't touch on. Aesthetics and theory of knowledge are both central themes in Kant's work.

Truthfully though, you can't talk about what 'Kant believed' or what 'Kant said' because there isn't a single Emmanuel Kant. He was a thinker who's ideas evolved drastically over time, though within certain prescribed limits. So you could probably draw various different points of view depending on which works you drew from. So you might say Kant could be spinning both clockwise AND widdershins. Anyway, I was just being silly, nothing very deep there. Me brain is a shallow pool...

pemerton

Legend
there is Philosophy BEFORE Kant, and Philosophy AFTER Kant, there is no fundamental element of it that Kant doesn't touch on. Aesthetics and theory of knowledge are both central themes in Kant's work.
Perhaps heretically, I regard Kant as the most overrated of the great philosophers. (Oops - did I post that out loud?)

Of the 18th century philosophers I'm a great admirer of Hume. And, as might have come through in my posts about fiction etc, I'm a great admirer of the 19th/20th century analytic philosophers, whose starting point was undoing all the damage done by Kant! (Especially in his theories of knowledge and mathematics - I hesitate to say his theory of semantics, because part of the problem was that he didn't have one.)

pemerton

Legend
more 'classical' DMs might well take hints from their players and the sorts of equipment, backstory, previous activities, etc. in order to draw in elements that speak to those player's desires (and thus dramatic needs of their PCs which those desires may express). Of course this technique is not really defined or often well-understood in classic D&D play. I mean, I didn't understand it in any formal sense until 10 years ago, even after GMing all sorts of games for many years, and often using those techniques.

I think its hard to judge what people are doing in such situations. Imprecise language is used, and analysis is lacking. You are probably correct, along with Chauchou, in trying to get everyone to clarify and get on a page about terminology and meta-theory, but it obviously won't happen. Still, I think most really successful GMs have had to learn to bend somehow and address the things that, at least their more demanding players, want.
I agree that it can be hard to judge what's going on.

Sometimes I'm reminded of these comments from Ron Edwards:

[Heck]! I'm playing Narrativist
In Simulationist play, morality cannot be imposed by the player or, except as the representative of the imagined world, by the GM. Theme is already part of the cosmos; it's not produced by metagame decisions. Morality, when it's involved, is "how it is" in the game-world, and even its shifts occur along defined, engine-driven parameters. The GM and players buy into this framework in order to play at all. . . .

[W]hen you-as-player get proactive about an emotional thematic issue, poof, you're out of Sim. Whereas enjoying the in-game system activity of a thematic issue is perfectly do-able in Sim, without that proactivity being necessary. . . .

Many people mistake . . . techniques like Director stance, shared narration, etc, for Narrativism, although they are not defining elements for any GNS mode. Misunderstanding this key issue has led to many people falsely identifying themselves as playing Simulationist with a strong Character emphasis, when they were instead playing quite straightforward Narrativist without funky techniques.​

and

Jesse: I'm just still a little confused between Narrativism and Simulationism where the Situation has a lot of ethical/moral problems embedded in it and the GM uses no Force techniques to produce a specific outcome. I don't understand how Premise-expressing elements can be included and players not be considered addressing a Premise when they can't resolve the Situation without doing so.

Me: There is no such Simulationism. You're confused between Narrativism and Narrativism, looking for a difference when there isn't any.​

Like you, I was running player-driven games before I had an analytic vocabulary to describe what was going on. The lack of vocabulary didn't stop me doing it, although I think it sometimes meant I was confused about what techniques were having what effect in my games. To give a couple of concrete examples:

(1) I read a lot of GM advice books - RM ones, but others too (eg WSG) - which emphasised the importance of strong world-design (maps, pantheons, etc) as important to a good RPG experience. To the extent that I did some of this stuff, it didn't actually seem to pay off. When I ignored this stuff, and just focused on play, nothing bad happened and often good things happened. The basic geography tended to be public knowledge (eg I would lay out my maps of GH and not keep them secret), and the "secret" geography tended to be introduced as part of framing particular situations (an example I can think of is when I decided that the PCs, flying on a demon skiff through the Crystalmist Mountains, came across the Brass Stair from the RM Shadow World module "Sky Giants of the Brass Stair"). Having the tools to think more systematically about the function of backstory, framing etc in the game has helped me get better at this.

(2) RM has a lot of mechanics - <pause for laughter> - that make it almost impossible to draw an end to a scene: spell durations, spell point recovery, injury recovery, even quite a bit of magical healing that requires tracking the time spent concentrating on restoring (say) 1 concussion hit per round, etc, etc. Without an analytic vocabulary for thinking about scenes, framing, etc, while it was obvious to me that some of this stuff was a bit clunky, it wasn't obvious exactly where it was causing problems. (A little-remarked upon feature of 5e is that it has got rid of all those X minutes per level durations, and breaks them down into "1 fight", "1 exploration scene" and "until next rest" durations, just without telling anyone!)​

So anyway, if we were doing it probably others were and are. On the other hand, it can be very hard to tell. Multiple posters in the past few days of this thread have said that the source of framing material is irrelevant - are they GMing in accordance with their professed principles, or are they misdescribing their own approach to play?

It also seems clear that a lot of non-combat stuff is being resolved through free roleplaying. But in the absence of any actual play examples, and concrete accounts of how GM pre-authored understandings of the situation factored in (like eg who is amenable to being bribed, and who isn't), it's almost impossible to tell what's going on. Which is where the issue of vocabulary comes in again: a recount of the fiction doesn't take us anywhere in terms of understanding how the game actually happened. But there are very few accounts in this thread of actual episodes of play that illustrate how a GM working from notes, together with the players expressing their agency, actually generated some episode of play by way of free roleplaying.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah, I think it is fair to say that each style of play includes and excludes some sorts of games. In a game run by [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] its not likely that the PCs will spend a lot of time futzing around, wandering the countryside trying to find something to do, or just watching the world go by. OTOH they won't likely see their successes undone and they likely will find that the game focuses on their backstory elements and whatever deeds they seem to be intent on. In a more 'classic sandbox' sort of game that wouldn't be true. There the game might end up with a focus on the player's interests because THEY would move to some point of interest to them.

In the end I almost think that each style of play, if well-executed, leads to some interesting focus of play by different paths, which seems to me to be what you're getting at. In [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s game the whole thing is ABOUT the PCs, the game will always revolve around them and bring action to them. In some other game, maybe [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s, the characters will have to track down or systematically initiate what they're interested in, and then clearly that will be a focus.
A good analysis, but I think even being this broad it only ends up applying to a somewhat small-ish segment of the overall population of games out there being played.

Why is that?

Because it overlooks and thus ignores three important segments of the population of games: one of which is huge, the other two significant but not so huge. So, in ascending order of size we have:

1. Games run in AL or other organized play environments. These games tend towards running what's fed to them, and both players and DMs can't wander too far off script. The action arrives when a) the module says it will, and b) when the PCs find it.

2. Games that are run as full-on hard adventure paths, where they go through the AP from start to finish and the end of the AP means the end of the campaign. These games are often more or less railroads, albeit railroads that everyone involved has kind of agreed to ride. The action arrives when the train gets to it.

3. Games where the players (and maybe even the DM!) just don't care about any of this and simply want to kick back and have some fun. These are the casual games, and I think they make up the majority of all games being run at any given time. The DM doesn't focus on the PCs to anywhere remotely near the extent of, say, a [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] game, and nor do the players "systematically initiate" what they're interested in as is posited might be happening in my game - certainly not intentionally, at any rate. Often in these sort of games the DM either sets hooks or just runs a module, and the players largely go along with it because it gives them a game to play in and a reason to get together and shoot the breeze every week or two. Sometimes one or more players will for a while become engaged enough in some aspect of the game world or backstory to drive the game in that direction, otherwise what adventures etc. get played are pretty much set by the DM mostly by default. These games also generally tend toward less "action", sometimes due to a focus on bookkeeping, sometimes due to table chatter dominating half the session, sometimes due to excess caution and planning and focus on detail both in and out of character, or a host of other reasons.

And of course all three of these game types can be made or broken by either or both of the quality of the DM and the quality of the players involved.

Lanefan

Remove ads