D&D 5E What is your current way to roll stats

dregntael

Explorer
We have a party of five. Currently, three of them have already chosen (independently) and their choices are all different, so there's no problem of one row clearly being 'the best'.

Miladoon

First Post
We have a party of five. Currently, three of them have already chosen (independently) and their choices are all different, so there's no problem of one row clearly being 'the best'.

When I use grid, I let the players choose from either direction but they were always in order. We might get a strong or charismatic monk from column two for instance.

zombiecube

First Post
I recently saw a variant of this method on a mythweavers chargen post. They rolled three sets and kept the newest set, not having an option to choose earlier sets.

I've been doing it this way since, wow… for over 15 years. My players love-love-love obsessing over character generation options. Not so much min-maxing everything. More like "average-aboveaveraging" it all. And going "all-in" on a third set of scores has led to some truly memorable characters. Regardless, it's always fun to see the back of their L1 character sheets, where they game out options, classes, races, and contemplate The Difficult Third Roll.

One guy, one time, totally broke the game with killer stats (Fek the wizard). IIRC, it took me about 5 levels to achieve parity with the rest of the party and the monsters. No big deal in the grand scheme of things.

(Edit to fix the typo I noticed. Haven't fixed the one I didn't notice.)

Theovis

Explorer
In the current campaign I'm running, players used a variant of the "Focus and Foible" system that I believe was published in "The Way of the Wicked" for Pathfinder.

The original was pick a stat to make 18, pick another to make 8. Everything else is rolled as 7+1d10. I tweaked it so the Focus was 15+1d4 instead of 18, and the foible was 6+1d6.

Miladoon

First Post
In the current campaign I'm running, players used a variant of the "Focus and Foible" system that I believe was published in "The Way of the Wicked" for Pathfinder.

The original was pick a stat to make 18, pick another to make 8. Everything else is rolled as 7+1d10. I tweaked it so the Focus was 15+1d4 instead of 18, and the foible was 6+1d6.

I love anydice. I looked at that and you avg 12/13s for four stats and 17/18 for your focus and 9/10 for your foible.

Last edited:

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I do a roll-around. The player to my left rolls 4d6 (drop lowest) and records the entry on a 6x6 grid. Then the next player rolls. Then the next, until each of the 36 squares is filled in.

Then, once the grid is full, each player chooses a column, or row, or diagonal array of 6 numbers. They may not select the same array, so once it's claimed its gone.

With these numbers, you put your stats in order, you may then swap two numbers.

Anyway. It sounds complicated, but we roll together as a table, then individualize the results.

We kinda do something like this. Everyone rolls set of 6 stats using 4d6 drop the lowest, inc the DM.

But then anyone can choose any of the sets of rolls to use.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My group gets to select two stats to roll 5d6 keep the best 3, two stats to roll 4d6 keep the best 3, and then two stats rolled at 3d6 straight up.

Onussen

First Post
Same as I did in 1e. Roll 4d6 (drop lowest) 6 times, and assign the results as the player sees fit. In 5e, with the ability to increase these scores as the character levels up, there really are no disastrous rolls. Well, maybe a 3 or 4. And players need to think about how to grow the characters this way. If most of the rolls are mediocre to bad, toss them and roll another set of 6.

Last edited:

Remove ads