• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is your definition of a Vanilla setting

Which official setting of these three is most vanilla to you?

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 67 72.0%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 25 26.9%

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Forgettable Realms, but only because it's the default kitchen sink. However, tbh, I don't really consider it "vanilla," because I actually enjoy vanilla. It's just undifferentiated "sugary."

Stormonu

Legend
Should of included Eberron, methinks.

A vanilla setting doesn’t say a hard “NO” to dropping virtually any “core” race/class/monster/magic item into it without modifying said addition or the world in some significant way.

In that regard, I feel Forgotten Realms is definately generic, as is World of Greyhawk*. So too, would be Eberron.

I would not consider Dragonlance generic, as there are several races, classes and monsters that are not present, or significantly modified from their base.

* Granted, Dragonborn don’t have an overt place in this world, but that’s one item out of hundreds.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, how do you define a vanilla setting, specifically as an example which setting is most vanilla to you, FR or GHK or maybe even DL?
All three of those are the same vanilla. None is more vanilla than another, though I did pick Greyhawk in the poll, simply because I had to pick one over the others. Heck, I'd even consider Planescape vanilla. It's just vanilla set outside of a single world.

Vanilla is just a typical setting where everything or nearly everything goes. Non-vanilla has major unique aspects to it. Birthright and it's bloodlines. Darksun and the dead world, psionic, no divine magic feel. Ravenloft and it's dark powers, trapped in a bad place aspects.

Oofta

Legend
FR can be bland because it's a setting where they throw in everything along with the kitchen sink. Then they go out and dig up a shrubbery because why not.

That's neither necessarily good nor bad because those are subjective judgements.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
What's a vanilla setting? One that's great on its own and complements anything else added to it, duh.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Here's a helpful diagram.

Sundaes.png

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Should of included Eberron, methinks.

A vanilla setting doesn’t say a hard “NO” to dropping virtually any “core” race/class/monster/magic item into it without modifying said addition or the world in some significant way.

In that regard, I feel Forgotten Realms is definately generic, as is World of Greyhawk*. So too, would be Eberron.

I would not consider Dragonlance generic, as there are several races, classes and monsters that are not present, or significantly modified from their base.

* Granted, Dragonborn don’t have an overt place in this world, but that’s one item out of hundreds.
When I think of vanilla settings, I think the opposite should also be true, that you could take most elements of the setting and drop them into a generic setting with little impact.

The above is why I don't consider Eberron vanilla. I don't see dropping things like lightning rails into other settings, and have seen plenty of GMs on boards complain about trying to shoehorn warforged into other settings.

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
That FR is a kitchen sink makes it vanilla - it doesn't have any unique qualities or features.

You can certainly run Greyhawk that way but as written, it's more politcal and the high fantasy/kitchen sinkness is toned down.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads