D&D General What is your favorite class(es), and what about makes them so fun?

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Basic: Probably the Elf, for the same reasons that I enjoyed the Bard in later editions - the versatility

1E: Paladin. Partly for nostalgia reasons. My first 1E character was a Paladin; we rolled 3d6 straight down the middle and I somehow qualified, so it felt like a special character. Plus the class was objectively awesome in 1E.

2E: Bard. The mix of abilities was exactly what I wanted, and I was a theater kid.

3E: Never really played it enough to have a favorite class, but I did NOT like the 3E Bard.

4E: Never played.

5E: Bard. 5E Bard is best Bard, and its main virtue is that it has the tools to let me engage meaningfully and effectively with every pillar of the game. Shout out to the LevelUp A5E Cleric, which is EASILY the most fun I've had running a Cleric. I also really like the 5E Rogue and Warlock.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
The homebrewed Magus class by Laser Llama. The Magus Class by laserllama The author IMO basically fused the Fighter's Eldritch Knight and the Wizard's Bladesinger subclasses into one class.

A5e's Fighter. They get to master 3 of the 11 combat traditions in the Adventurer's Guide. Plus you gain more class features outside of the subclass. Then there are the social interaction features, which the 5e Fighter lacked. 5e Fighters were good at combat and exploration, but they didn't have anything going for them outside of those two areas. Until now. ;)

Everyman Games' Unchained Fighter for PF1. This version of the Fighter used stamina points for combat tricks, which allowed the class to do a little extra with whatever feat they happened to have. They gained proficiency in not just simple and martial weapons, but any exotic weapon that was a part of their chosen weapon group. So you didn't need to pick up the exotic weapon proficiency feat for any exotic weapon in your chosen weapon group. They were also advanced weapon and armor options too.

Kobold Press' Elemental Exarch archetype for the Druid class in PF1. This Druid archetype allowed you to focus on one of the four elements. You started out play with an elemental companion that would grow more powerful over time, and you gained early access to elemental wildshaping.
the problem with arcane gishes is the lack of any flavour past dude with magic and sword it needs more to it.
I actually thought the mystic was a very interesting design, it just needed another 2-3 passes through the iterative game design process before it fully worked.

One of the problems with "it must be COMPLETELY popular before we go with it" approach is that you're basically depending on lucking out and presenting something with few to no bugs on the first try. It's like trying to only ever do two drafts, a rough draft and a final polish, and never EVER doing ANY revision in-between. Sometimes, yes, you'll end up failing even after 2-3 more passes. But, as we've seen with psionics...it's not like they haven't been throwing good money after bad at this point with the method they ARE using!
I think some of it is lack of clear function in the party why are they here is an important question.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I alternate between Paladin and Barbarian.

I like the Barbarian because it's a simple class with a simple focus - hit stuff and take the brunt of the partes damage.

I like the Paladin because it's a well constructed class with lots of offshoot options - and the 5e version is no longer constrained to the goody two-shoes knight in shining armor trope.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I like classes that have the most story potential--I like lots of lore and backstory. So I'm a big fan of warlocks, sorcerers, and monks.

Remove ads