• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What is your favorite Class?

Moorcrys

Explorer
Favorites:

B/X - Elf
1e - Illusionist
2e - Fighter/Cleric
3e - Hexblade (not an optimal class but I loved it) or Beguiler
4e - Warlord (tactical) or Mage (Illusionist)
5e - Gloomstalker Ranger or Wild Magic Sorcerer

Richards

Legend
I used to be the full-time DM, but now that my grown son runs his own campaigns (three so far) as well I've gotten to run a PC again. I prefer the general simplicity of the fighter (and I've noticed I tend to gravitate to stupid brute characters), but I've made a conscious decision for our next campaign (to be run by one of our players who wants to give DMing a try for the first time in decades) to go against type and run a high-intelligence human sorcerer.

Johnathan

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Hey, @Mind of tempest - no frowns. This means more that I have a great time engaging with just about every class in 5e that I've tried! I have, luckily, been playing more D&D in the last year and a half than I have in the last couple of decades, and it has been awesome.
I was sad because I inferred you do not get to play very much like me, if you are content then that is great.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I can pretty much enjoy any class I play, but there are certain themes that do come up from time to time.

Rangers - I've liked them since 1e (although 2e's was one of the low points of that edition - the editions were compatible enough we just kept playing 1e rangers). Particularly good version are 1e's, 4e's, PF's, and, yes, 5e's.

Bards - yes, I played a 1e bard and had a blast with him.

Clerics - I really dug into the specialty priests of 2e and I'd like to see more portfolio-based specialties appear for 5e

Druids - also been a big fan since 1e. I always thought they had a particularly interesting spell list.

Monks - my favorite versions are based on Oriental Adventure's martial arts. I really enjoyed building styles and would like to see a modular approach to doing so for 5e.

Paladins - I've played paladins in multiple editions but particularly good ones are PF's and 5e's.

Rogues - I've been enjoying 5e's rogue in particular. Excellent use of bonus actions to make the class play differently from other classes.

Wizards - 5e's wizards are my favorite edition so far

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It is cool how different our favorite classes are.

It shows how even the niche classes of each edition are doing something good and important.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Mage/thief, from 2e. I like being sneaky, I like being able to use a reasonable weapon, and I like the flexibility of a spellbooks instead of the goofy "spells known" limitation.

No edition since has provided the same experience.
How does a 5e Wizard/Rogue multiclass compare?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
How does a 5e Wizard/Rogue multiclass compare?
Well, there's no way to be a 1st level Wizard/Rogue. So right off the bat it's different.

And you gain a level in Wizard and then a level in Rogue and then back and forth. You're never a mage/thief, you're both a Wizard and a Rogue. This may be semantics, but it just feels totally different.

The 3.0 DMG had a sidebar on how to multiclass at 1st level, which was workable but still had the same long-term dissonance. That sidebar did not appear in 3.5 and that was pretty much that.

Weiley31

Legend
Give me a bit as I'm still recovering from the latest UA and work.

But for 5E so far: Barbarian and Warlock. surprisingly I have two Barbarian characters in two different campaigns. A third one is probably coming.

Remove ads