• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite Necromancer Games module

What is your favorite Necromancer Games module?

• Crucible of Freya

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Tomb of Abysthor

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Siege of Durgam's Folly

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • What Evil Lurks

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Hall of the Rainbow Mage

• Vault of Larin Karr

Votes: 21 12.6%
  • Chaos Rising

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Grey Citadel

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Morrick's Mansion

• Abberations

• Demons and Devils

• Lost City of Barakus

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Vampires and Liches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rappan Athuk Series

Votes: 34 20.4%
  • Maze of Zayene Series

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Necropolis

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Raise the Dead

Vault of Larin Karr is the -perfect- module for my style of DMing. My players are having a blast. Crucible of Freya is great too however, more for the setting it provides than the actual adventure (especially with the free download at the Necro website). Close third place goes to Tomb of Abysthor.

johnsemlak

First Post
grodog said:
I'm surprised that so few of NG's new modules have received many votes: VoLK is the only new "leader" in the poll. I like VoLK a lot and put it nearly on the same level as Tomb of Abysthor and Demons & Devils, which are my favorite modules written by Clark and Bill.

Do folks just not own many of the newer modules, are they generally felt to be inferior to the earlier products, or what??
I think the answer is fairly simple. the older modules sold better because there was less competition back then.

Gothmog

First Post
Grey Citadel is #1 for me. Its so open-ended and has some great investigation and city encounters. Plus, its a breeze to insert other adventures or side-quests into this module. The best of the bunch by far.

I also really like What Evil Lurks. It has a great plot, and is morally rather gray. It also is the most successful of all the modules of capturing the "1st edition feel", whatever that means.

I also just got Lost City of Barakus, and so far I love it. However, since I haven't read far into it yet, I am hesitant to put it too highly, but I can tell its gonna be a classic.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
grodog said:
I'm surprised that so few of NG's new modules have received many votes: VoLK is the only new "leader" in the poll. I like VoLK a lot and put it nearly on the same level as Tomb of Abysthor and Demons & Devils, which are my favorite modules written by Clark and Bill.

Do folks just not own many of the newer modules, are they generally felt to be inferior to the earlier products, or what??

The poll asks for our favorite not which one we feel is good.

RA is my favorite, but I really enjoy most of the rest as well.

Psion

Adventurer
I like VoLK a lot and put it nearly on the same level as Tomb of Abysthor and Demons & Devils, which are my favorite modules written by Clark and Bill.

I don't own many of the newer modules.

But then, I found that Demons & Devils and ToA both looked better than they played. So I chose a module that I haven't had a chance to get disenchanted* with yet. ;)

* - Disenchanted is a relative term. I still want to finish ToA one of these days.

Last edited:

Mithriltooth

First Post
NG stuff

This was a hard one for me too.

Without a doubt Necro writes the best adventures. My faves are Vault Of Larin Karr, Halls of the Rainbow Mage, Tomb of Abysthor, and Grey Citadel.
I picked the Vault of Larin Karr over the rest for a few reasons...

1) The mini-campaign will satisfy all types of Players or DMs. Hack&Slashers and Role-Players. If you play it as it's intended and let the party go where they may, it becomes even more enjoyable (and kinda dangerous :) ).

2) There is so much backstory that can be expanded on or left alone. Quail Valley can easily be made into the most memorable place anyone has ever adventured in. Veteran DMs will love the flexibilty. Novice DMs will love running it as it is.

3) This module has an awesome "Mixer Effect". Almost any smaller module can easily (and I do mean EASILY) be mixed into this mini campaign. Im currently running VoLK with "Halls of the Rainbow Mage".
All I did was meld Mayor Wychek and Baron Kurrel into one evil person, combine Bostwick with Hampton Hill (carefully stirring both sets of NPCs), and add an extra Gem Key for the Larin Karr's Vault in Londar's Tower.
Presto! Instant super-adventure.

I do want to mention that I'm dying to run Tomb Of Abysthor and the Grey Citadel. Tomb reminds me of the classic 1st edition adventuring days with a boatload of better writing. The Grey Citadel is a role-players dream and Im definately running this in the Ravenloft setting.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I voted for Crucible of Freya because I had a lot of fun running it, and we got a lot of use out of Fairhill, Crimmor and the surrounding areas in the module and the web enhancements at the start of my first 3e campaign.

Tomb of Abysthor was a close second. I also like Rappan Athuk. I'm afraid I dozed off reading Necropolis -- what am I missing out on exactly?

Cheers

Richard

Davelozzi

Explorer
grodog said:

From what I've seen, the new ones are even better. However, unlike a few years ago when I was trying to get a new campaign together and wanted all the adventures that I could get to use for ideas, now my campaign is moving full force with a momentum of its own. Plus, since the older adventures were shorter, I was more likely to pick them up for a quick read even if I didn't think I'd have a use for them. Now, I have to have some spare time in order to get a chance to plow through one. For example, I'm about to take a long plane ride, so the other day I picked up Rainbow Mage, so that I'd have something to read on the way. When I'm at home, I tend to focus a little more on stuff immediately relevant to my game.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Davelozzi said:
From what I've seen, the new ones are even better. However, unlike a few years ago when I was trying to get a new campaign together and wanted all the adventures that I could get to use for ideas, now my campaign is moving full force with a momentum of its own. Plus, since the older adventures were shorter, I was more likely to pick them up for a quick read even if I didn't think I'd have a use for them. Now, I have to have some spare time in order to get a chance to plow through one.

Exactly the same for me -- I bought lots of adventures (including quite a few from Necromancer) in the first two years of 3e. I now own more than I could ever play and decided a while ago to stop buying them. I still get Dungeon though.

Richard

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads