• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite soup?

Chaldfont

First Post
I love soup. I had some beer cheese soup at the World Famous Indianapolis Ram this afternoon. And three pints of Java Breakfast Stout, but don't tell my boss...

My favorite soup is New England Clam Chowder. I think the best I've had was probably at Legal Seafood in Boston. But there was some damn good stuff at the chowder cook off in Santa Cruz in 2003 when I lived out there for an oh-so-short year.

So what's your favorite soup?

New England clam chowda is good (and Manhattan style isn't). Key West Conch chowder is good, too. And I like French Onion soup, covered in cheese and bread and baked.

Other than that, I'm not a big soup fan. Soup is what you eat while you're waiting for them to bring your dinner.

Huw

First Post
Not sure if you'd count it as soup, but I love laksa, a Malaysian dish comprising chilies, coconut milk, beansprouts, noodles, and various bits of meat served in a bowl.

Apart from that, I'm not really a soup fan.

xrpsuzi

First Post
Soup=Liquid Love!

I haven't met a soup that I didn't like. :)

Soup is the ideal platform for kitchen creativity, second only to the cassarole and the egg scramble/omelet. We make lots of soups during the cooler months and a few during summer. French Onion is great, and I make a point to order it at restaurants b/c it's kind of a pain to make at home (although I do make a mean vegetarian French Onion Soup). I love clam chowder (both New England and Manhattan). Call me plebian, but beef and vegetable is one of my favorite when I'm sick. We make miso soup every month or so. I adapted pho to be vegetarian, and we have that occasionally as well. But honestlly, most of our homemade soups are off the top of my head and usually involve iron-chef-style cooking when I look at what we have in the fridge and pantry. They come out pretty tasty on the whole--I've only had to throw one out for wretched tastelessness in 8 years. ;)

I would like to try a boulibase, but I'm waiting until I get to France and try the real thing. :)

However, my favorite soups are the savory Chinese soups I grew up on--Bird Nest Soup, Winter Melon Soup, White Fungus Soup, and chong-gee/juk (rice porriage with peanuts, thousand year old egg, and pieces of fry bread). Shark Fin Soup is usually banquet food, and it's tasty, but I don't really get a craving for it since I've only had it a handful of times. There is a sweet mung bean soup with peanuts often served at banquets that I occassionally get a hankering for too.

-suzi

Edit: I forgot Minestrone and other bean/lentil soups! We like the legume.

Remove ads