• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your local game store situation?

What is your local game store situation?

• I have more than one LGS in my local area and visit at least one regularly.

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • I have more than one LGS in my local area and don't visit any regularly.

Votes: 59 19.7%
  • I have one LGS in my local area and visit it regularly.

Votes: 35 11.7%
  • I have one LGS in my local area and don't visit it regularly.

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • I don't have a LGS in my area because one (or more) closed recently.

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • I don't have a LGS in my area and haven't recently (if ever).

Votes: 20 6.7%

Keith Robinson

Explorer
I have three in my local area and regularly visit two of them. However, while I do make the occasional purchase (well, enough to get freebies back at both store with my reward cards) I make the bulk of my purchases online - and primarily from Amazon - as it is much cheaper. As much as I'd love to support my local stores more than I do, the bottom line is cost. Ultimately, over the course of a year, I probably save enough from Amazon to account for a free book or two (compared against paying the top price at my FLGS).

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
There are two I know of in Gainesville. One smells like an ashtray (at least on the very few visits I have made there), so I generally avoid it. The other one has a much smaller selection (it's part of a College bookstore) and is friendly, but I don't get over there very often.

Neither can compete with amazon or frp games on price and selection, and as I have very little need for service, I don't go very often.

There are a couple of malls in the area that have the stereotypical game store. It is common for them to have basic RPG material, but AFAIK they never host game days or do things like Free RPG Day. Most large local book stores (Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc) also have an RPG section.

There's also a store in my local mall that is entirely devoted to Warhammer 40k. They have gaming activities all day long.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm a bad boy. I have a couple in town but I haven't visited them in ages. I have been buying more PDFs, for one thing, and I haven't been on a WotC shopping spree in a good long time. I also buy online.

smootrk

First Post
In Colorado Springs there are at least 3 stores, and if you count the relative proximity to metro Denver (about 60 miles) and the suburb communities (even closer), then I dont even know what the count might get up to. Lucky, I guess.

But alas, with my current schedule and work/college requirements, I don't even regularly visit any of them, even if I wanted to.

kenobi65

First Post
We have several, but the best, by far, is thalmin's own Games Plus. It's about a 40-minute drive for me, but it's worth it. I probably make a visit up there every 2-4 weeks.

There's another gaming store that's about a 10-minute walk from my office, but their coverage of RPGs is kind of spotty (they're a "general game" store, which means they also carry a lot of poker sets, dart boards, etc.), so I rarely go there.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
We don't now, nor have we ever had a gaming store in my general area. The closest one that is not just a comic shop with a few gaming supplies in it (about 45-50 miles away), or a book store with gaming supplies in it (about 30 miles away), is about 60 miles away. I don't really ever get a chance to get out that way, so I tend to run to the mall and et everything from the book store... with the tiny selection they have.

Gothmog

First Post
There are two in my town. Here are the details:

- One is the best managed and run gamestore I've ever seen. The salespeople and staff are helpful, courteous, and enjoy joking around and try to make the customers feel welcome. They recently bought and moved into an old grocery store and remodeled it, and have HUGE amounts of space for everything, including several LAN servers people can play on. They stay very current on all new releases (boardgames, minis, CCGs, all RPGs), and the owner and I know each other well, so he gives me a hefty discount because I buy about $300-$400 worth of stuff there a month. All in all, I couldn't ask for a better place, and its a 5 minute drive away!

- The other place is a dump, to put it mildly. The salespeople often ignore customers to chat it up with favorites, are rude, and more often than not if you inquire about if they have something, they say they have to order it, and it will take "two weeks". "Two weeks" means "we really don't know, but its gonna be a long time". Its a tiny space, little shelf stock, and only for the owners current favorite products. I went there 3 times when it first opened, and I'd never go back.

Remove ads