• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your local game store situation?

What is your local game store situation?

• I have more than one LGS in my local area and visit at least one regularly.

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • I have more than one LGS in my local area and don't visit any regularly.

Votes: 59 19.7%
  • I have one LGS in my local area and visit it regularly.

Votes: 35 11.7%
  • I have one LGS in my local area and don't visit it regularly.

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • I don't have a LGS in my area because one (or more) closed recently.

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • I don't have a LGS in my area and haven't recently (if ever).

Votes: 20 6.7%

There are two that I know of. One's a bit of a haul to get to, as it's not reachable by metro, and even if I go with one of my friends with a car, it's an hour trip unless traffic is really, really good. It has an excellent selection, but prices are retail even for stuff that's been on the shelf forever, and everything is shrink-wrapped, which kills any incentive I have to browse or buy. There are generally CCG and miniatures games going on, which is also a minus (for me) as they get quite loud. If I were into those games, I'd feel differently, I suppose. The sales people range from unknowledgeable to indifferent to very good. (For what it's worth, these are impressions and experiences over the past decade or so.)

If it were more readily accessible, they might get the odd impulse buy, but as it is I'm not making a special trip to pay retail for something I can't look at. (And yes, to forestall the inevitable, I know I can ask them to break the shrink-wrap, but it's still a pain, and I shouldn't have to.)

The other has a decent selection, but past experiences in the store have been less than pleasant. The sales help was useless and often disgusting in the food-stained clothes and unbathed sort of way. The shelves are an accident waiting to happen. It is a little easier to get to, but not much, and the last time I bought stuff in there was only because I was at a training class all week nearby.

Years ago, when I was on a long gaming hiatus, they opened a store within walking distance of me, up by American U.. Even though I was pretty much out of the hobby, I still went there on a regular basis and bought a lot of stuff just to read. Unfortunately, they didn't last but several months, and that was (to the best of my knowledge) the last gaming store in the city.

It's really, really, hard to beat the Amazon discount plus the free shipping. I occasionally will pick something up at Borders, but the selection is pretty limited, so it's either for something I know I want and verify they have beforehand and I'm too impatient to wait, or it's an impulse buy. I never go there just to look at RPGs, it's always an afterthought when I'm looking for other books.

Stormborn

Explorer
The one I visit regularly has 3 actual locations. The one I go to( say 15 mins away) has two store fronts in the same strip - one dedicated to games and one to comics and we hit both every week. They have a newer 2nd combined store that is techincally closer (5 mins away) to my house but we still prefer the old one (being comics fiends my wife and I have our pull list there and have good relationships with the guys the run both stores.)

Another store is in the mall (10 mins away) and is all games. They used to have sales regularly but not so much anymore as the store changed hands (it was once part of a failed chain and is now independent) but occasionally has things the regular FLGS doesn't carry.

Books-a-million (multiple locations with in 20 mins of my house) and Barnes and Nobles (1 location in 15 mins of my house) carry game books as well, and I occasionally make purchases at BAM due to the discount. There are no Borders, nor even associated book stores, in the area (or the state AFAIK) so thats not really an option.

Another comic shop carries CCGs but no other game stuff.

There used to be more, a notable one that had been in town but moved locations several times over the course of 20-30 years even to the point of having multiple locations, is gone. During the great comic/Magic boon of the 90s there were multiple stores that carried comics/CCGs/RPGs but I didn't game back then.

For Free RPG Day we went to a very nice little shop in Tuscaloosa, about an hour away, since the local ones weren't participating. Its too far away to hit regularly and doesnt offer the discount on new products the regular FLGS does.

My wife is from Huntsville, about 2 hrs away, and we visit her family about every other month and hit a small game shop there occasionally.

I have several that are between 30minutes to one hour away. However, I havent visited a LGS since last year when My GF at the time dragged me to one. I tend to not buy anything anymore if I can get it online cheaper.

Agamon

Adventurer
I have 2, 3 if you count the more traditional gaming store (board games, poker, billiards, etc). I only frequent the one, as I'm friends with the owner. It's only a half hour walk (or 5 minute drive if I'm buying something bulky or there's bad weather).

That said, I buy really expensive things (Icon minis, Ptolus, etc) on Amazon. But he has a decent deal on DDM, books and board games for the most part though.

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
There are three in town, two of which I go to periodically (the third is smaller and I mostly only go there because it's downtown so I can stop by during lunch.) Madison is very lucky to have so many great games stores!

T. Foster

First Post
There are 8 or so stores that I know of within an hour's drive; I've been to all of them at least once and usually visit each one every 1-2 years. There's one store (Game Empire in Pasadena) that I've recently been going to more often (about once a month) because the store is clean and well-organized, the staff is friendlyt and helpful, and most importantly because they have a used section with good discounts and rotating stock (as opposed to most other stores, that will gladly charge you full cover price for something that's been gathering dust on a shelf at the back of the store for 15-20 years).

Schmoe

Adventurer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
There are two that I know of. One's a bit of a haul to get to, as it's not reachable by metro, and even if I go with one of my friends with a car, it's an hour trip unless traffic is really, really good. It has an excellent selection, but prices are retail even for stuff that's been on the shelf forever, and everything is shrink-wrapped, which kills any incentive I have to browse or buy. There are generally CCG and miniatures games going on, which is also a minus (for me) as they get quite loud. If I were into those games, I'd feel differently, I suppose. The sales people range from unknowledgeable to indifferent to very good. (For what it's worth, these are impressions and experiences over the past decade or so.)

I used to live near DC, so I assume you're talking about Gamemasters? I agree, the whole shrink-wrap deal was a real turn-off. They had a great selection, though.

The other has a decent selection, but past experiences in the store have been less than pleasant. The sales help was useless and often disgusting in the food-stained clothes and unbathed sort of way. The shelves are an accident waiting to happen. It is a little easier to get to, but not much, and the last time I bought stuff in there was only because I was at a training class all week nearby.

I'm not sure which store you're talking about here, but it sounds pretty bad. If you're willing to drive an hour, you should check out Games and Comics and Stuff up in Glen Burnie, MD. Best LGS I've been to, bar none.

Dragon Snack

First Post
I'm actually somewhat surprised there are so many stores around, from what some people post you would think they are all gone.

Not in my area though, we have 7 within a half hour drive of me. Well, one may be a little more than that now, since I moved south of the city (I used to be within 5 miles of 3 LGS's).

Boldo's Armory - I actually used to live within walking distance of this store, but only went twice due to the shoddy service I got (sat at the front counter for a good 5-10 minutes waiting to buy stuff). Boldo is a nice enough guy when you meet him at a Con, but he runs this store to have a place to hang out.

Comics, Etc. - My FLGS, more of a comic store (hence the name), but a 30% cash discount nets him most of my business even if he is out of the way and does have to special order some things.

Coyote's Den - Decent, sells DDM singles but doesn't have a big selection. I might go there more often if he was closer, but the last time I was there he had a political radio show on (bad form, IMO).

Crazy Egor's - Yep, THAT Crazy Egor. Great couple, but they are the outlier store and they aren't open all the time. I've bought more from Egor at Gen Con than at his store.

Lost Worlds - I share a name with one of the owners (and even weirder, I used to live down the street from him) and I talk far too much with the other owner when I'm there. If they were closer, I would probably be there far too much.

Millennium Games - THE big LGS. Their service has improved immensly in the past few years, but I still have a love/hate relationship with them. I used to run demos there, but after real life kept me away for a bit they became less accomodating (umm, I'm here to help you out). I used to play in a game there, but when they added video games (stand up arcade games) it became far too much of a distraction (and I bought my house with a gaming room soon after).

Wonderland Comics - Nice staff, but far too small of a selection.

I suppose if you count book stores, we have B&N and Borders as well. Waldenbooks had game books too, but just went out of business.

I'm not sure what your definition of "visit regularly" is though. Once a month, then yes. Once a week, then no (but it used to be more than once a week)...

Edit: And if you bump it up to an hour away, add 2 more: Jesters Cap in Buffalo (Lancaster) and Play The Game in Syracuse (fromerly Alered States, but I haven't been there since the move).

Knight-of-Roses

Historian of the Absurd
We have three in Athens, Georgia, each with different areas of specialization:

Tyches Games , which specializes in RPGs and board games, and also does anime rentals and some CCGs.

Classic City Comics and Games, which does comics (naturally) and warhammer mostly.

Grand Slam, which I do not do business with 'cause they tend to gouge, which does CCGs and maybe other stuff, but is really big into Magic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads