• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your opinion of Shannara?

What is your opinion of the Shannara books?

• 10: They (the Shannara books) are legendary writing

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • 9: They are truly great writing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8: They are very fine writing

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 7: They are solidly good writing

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • 6: They are alright, but nothing special

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • 5: They are fair, neither good nor bad, unimpressive

• 4: They are mediocre writing

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • 3: They are decidedly poor writing

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 2: They are grimly bad writing

• 1: They are disgraceful, awful writing

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 0: They are the among the worst of all writing

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • You have never read Shannara, but hear it is good

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • You have never read Shannara, but hear it is bad

Falcon of Lugh

First Post

I voted 9 based on my general love for Shannara. Between the first series and the Renshai triology (Zucker-Reichart), I was constantly reading the same books over and over again. I haven't had the opportunity to read the voyages of Jerle yet. Maybe once I'm off this Star Wars kick I'll head that way.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I am back after a long absense, and I see I was wrong.
I thought people on the ENBoards had a generally negative view of Shannara. The results of the poll show they are generally positive towards Shannara.
To which I say cheers. Shannara is a favorite series of mine.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
I admit that I have only read the second Shannara series (Scions of Shannara to Talismans of Shannara) and cannot comment of the first series.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was extremely mediocre and pretty bland. No excitement, no immersion, no anticipation, nothing. Still, I read through four books, so they can't be bad. They're just not good.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Hey there, EternalKnight, Lurks-No-More. :)
I'm glad to be back.

There is a Thomas Covenant thread on this board.
Now, what would be VERY interesting is if you put Thomas Covenant and Allanon in a room together, and locked the door (some Walls of Force might be needed here to keep the door - and walls - closed.)

For if there is anyone more stubborn than Allanon, it is Thomas Covenant.

If Thomas Covenant were told he had to obtain the Sword of Shannara at Paranor and destroy the Warlock Lord (Covenant being the last Heir of Shannara, of course), Thomas Covenant would proceed to tell Allanon he did not exist, the Sword did not exist, Paranor did not exist, the Warlock Lord did not exist, and that he - Allanon - could shove it and he was going to sit right there and do nothing.
Allanon, who NEVER tolerates this kind of bad-mouthing, would probably try to force Covenant to be reasonable, to listen, or perhaps to even physically force Covenant to cooperate.
All in vain. A ton of granite rock would budge more easily than Thomas Covenant once he's made up his mind, and Allanon's magic would only cause the Wild Magic to respond.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hey, welcome back! I personally can't stand Shannara, but it's nice to see you around. We were just wondering where you'd disappeared to.

Agback

Explorer
John Crichton said:
So, the fact that it has endured this long and there are current novels still being written isn't a testament to how good the books are?

Muzak and pastel prints sell and sell and sell.

Popular taste can spend until it goes broke, that'll never convince me that Madonna is a second Mozart.

Regards,

Agback

Remove ads