• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your overused plot hook ?

pogre

Legend
PCs stumble across an ancient evil cult gathering to summon a demon. You must stop them to save the [village][town][city][princess][world].

Davek

First Post
Nightfall said:
*is still working out the details of dire anthropomorphic sheep with the mob template* Now that will scare some low level adventurers! ;)

Post the details please... once you're done that is ;)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Davek,

Well I have the idea down now:

A cleric of Orcus, formerly just a low level semi-nobody that was apprenticed to a much more powerful cultist, comes back to his home town to wreak vengeance on his former home. In the process of doing so, he uses a couple powerful artifacts that he stole from the corpse of his mentor who died in the Abyss. One of them is a Talisman of the Beast, a powerful totem of Baphomet, which can turn any animal (with the right amount of sacrifice), into a humaniod. He then uses the Talisman to turn two herds of sheep into his willing servants and send them out to attack the village (which has been already decimated by plague zombies, unruly swarms, and even a couple near vampire spawn.) The PCs then defeat the mob of humaniod sheep, find the cleric, only to see him near death after his master's former compartriot, a powerful demon, steals back the artifacts to help in an ascension ritual key for Orcus to become not only the new Prince of Demons, but a powerful god in his own right.

Whadda think so far?

Phazzar

First Post
Drawmack said:
The king, counsel, ruling power of choice, compells you to help them.

Every role player knows you can't say no to the rulling body no matter how many times they need your help.

That's my most used plot hook. Sometimes the person who hired them is actually just using them, too.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
So...anyone like my plot idea involving sheep or not? ;) I know it's a tad silly but come on! Who else would do it? ;)

Valesin

First Post
Sigh...I guess it is time for me to answer this question since I am about to do it again tomorrow!

All of my campaigns have a smart, beautiful, deceitful female who is a recurring villain. 2 campaigns ago it was a bard who framed the party for murder and turned a city against them...with whom they had to join forces with her to defeat a bigger evil (an ally she was betraying). Last campaign it was a dusk hag whom the party allowed to live in order to get some info they needed...who proceeded to make their lives hell for 7 levels.

Tonight I am making up a beguiler spy/information dealer that is awaiting her allies at a predermined place...allies that the party killed and are now heading unawares to the rendezvous. Her primary goal will be escape (with her charmed minions to cover her), and she has powerful people in the gov't in her pocket, so she will also haunt them for a while.

I just can't help it! I have tried to make it a male, but it just never works in my head. A man playing the 'damsel in distress' to get the city guards to do her dirty work just doesn't compute, and my favorite villains are the smart ones who have someone else do their dirty work. I don't fudge any rolls to make them escape, but since survival is their number one priority they always have a near-flawless escape plan.

I vowed I wasn't going to do it this campaign, but I am weak...

Heathansson

First Post
I like to have them implanted with a small explosive device in their right atrium that their "employer" will detonate if they refuse the mission.
It's especially fun when they say, "why did they do that? We would've undertaken this mission anyhow." So I say, "yeah, but they got no way of knowing that."

Wil

First Post
Having the PCs thrust from our world into some alternate reality, or vice-versa. I overuse it because it seems to work...every time :D

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
PC’s recruit to stop necromancer/evil humanoid race/demons/devils/evil cult who are holed up in some local ruin and are causing trouble. The local governments had every opportunity to do something about necromancer/evil humanoid race/demons/devils/evil cult for years and years. But they waited until the necromancer/evil humanoid race/demons/devils/evil cult started causing lots of havoc and things are desperate to hire a bunch of mercenaries (the PCs) to do something about the situation.

Remove ads