• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your "perfect" sized gaming group?

"Magical" number of people at your table

karlindel

First Post
It would be nice if this was a multiple choice poll.

It depends on the game being played, but I think the ideal number for games I play is between 4 and 6 (i.e. 1 GM and 3-5 players).

For D&D, I like 4-5 players, to make sure all the roles are covered.

For other games I play, I like smaller groups, so that players get more individual attention. Also, it is easier for everyone to play the kind of character they want to, as there is less of a problem getting a group of characters that make sense working together.

I notice some people preferring larger groups because you can have some players miss the game and still run. However, I prefer smaller groups, as it is easier to schedule around conflicts with a smaller group. That way, everyone can be involved in every session.

It would be nice if this was a multiple choice poll.

It depends on the game being played, but I think the ideal number for games I play is between 4 and 6 (i.e. 1 GM and 3-5 players).

For D&D, I like 4-5 players, to make sure all the roles are covered.

For other games I play, I like smaller groups, so that players get more individual attention. Also, it is easier for everyone to play the kind of character they want to, as there is less of a problem getting a group of characters that make sense working together.

I notice some people preferring larger groups because you can have some players miss the game and still run. However, I prefer smaller groups, as it is easier to schedule around conflicts with a smaller group. That way, everyone can be involved in every session.
*grunts* Yeah I should have made it ranged or multi-choice, but alas I did an imperfect poll and wanted to know a specific favorite as opposed to a "general favorite range." I guess I also didn't take into account the system because of a lack of personal experience in other systems, so my bad there too. It's still interesting to see what the results are so far.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
*grunts* Yeah I should have made it ranged or multi-choice, but alas I did an imperfect poll and wanted to know a specific favorite as opposed to a "general favorite range."

I think multi-choice for the next one but this poll gives its own interesting results too. I also like the idea that this covers any RPG (though being on these boards does skew it toward certain RPGs in any event). You might also want to drop the same poll on a few dedicated forums (even here, 4E, a couple of various edition polls on the legacy board, etc.) just to see how the results vary. I like this poll.

Pentius

First Post
I prefer 5 and a DM, though I'm willing to go as low as 2 and a DM. Though, it's been many years since I didn't have a line of players, necessitating capping my game at 5.

More than 5 and encounters get wonky in ways I'm not always prepared to adjust for, because there are simply more players to consider. My attention can only be split so many ways.

GoldDragon

First Post
I think four players and the DM is optimal. I have DM'd larger groups and find it tedious. I've also played in larger groups and find that sometimes players just get bored waiting for their turn. Too man players can also interrupt game flow by the arguments about differing opinions. Four players is very manageable, imho.

Baumi

Adventurer
3-5 + GM for me. Lower and there is not enough Player-interaction and they often have not enough tricks/skills to cover all bases and more than 5 gets confusing and there is not enough time to give everyone a spotlight.

So my optimal Groupsize is 5+GM, so that up to 2 Players can be absent and we still can play.

Jimlock

Adventurer
3 players and 1 DM

above 4 players the party turns into a "party", and I hate it.

2 players and 1 DM is also nice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads