D&D 5E What is your "Sweet Spot" of Success? (poll)

What chance represents the "sweet spot" for a good PC to perform a "difficult" task?

• less than 10%

• 10%

• 15%

• 20%

• 25%

• 30%

• 35%

• 40%

• 45%

• 50%

• 55%

• 60%

• 65%

• 70%

• 75%

• 80%

• 85%

• 90%

• greater than 90%

Results are only viewable after voting.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Here's the scenario:
  • Your PC is "good" at a task (whatever "good" means to you), not great, but definitely above average.
  • You are trying a "difficult" task (whatever "difficult" means to you).
What chance of success is perfect for you, the "sweet spot" if you will; where the enjoyment of success meets the risk of failure?

So, if you choose 50%, you are saying you want your PC to succeed at the task half the time and fail half the time, making success rewarding and failure a bit painful.

You have two votes for your response, in case you want a slightly wider range.

Stormonu

Legend
Well, my reasoning goes something like this:

I think an "average" person should succeed on an "average" task about 55-65% of the time. A "good" person should succeed on an "average" task about 75% of the time and a "master" at a task about 90% of the time.

Scale the difficulty up to the next level (aka, "difficult"), and drop everyone's percentages about 50%.

aco175

Legend
I was thinking that being good as an average task is about 75%, so a DC20 task would be about 50%, maybe 40% with some other variables.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In most editions, difficulty of tasks are described based on the experience of the unskilled and untalented.

To the unskilled untalented (a +0), something is difficult if it is achievable but unlikely to succeed. That is a DC 15. 30% chance.

To the good (a +6 or 7), you hit a 15 on a 8 or 9. 55-60% chance.

Pedantic

Legend
This feels a bit like "how red is that wall?" to me, because "good" and "difficult" are really subjective even in actual rules text, much less in totally abstract land.

Do you have a particular task example in mind? Maybe a specific challenge for a specific skill?

Without context, my general take is that a character doing something they are good at should be at least as effective as the combat hit rate baseline, around 65%. A specialized character should have a 10% or less chance of failure at a difficult task they've built toward accomplishing, depending on the level appropriateness of the task.

Shiroiken

Legend
These are very vague terms, so everyone's going to have their own views. To me, a difficult task is something an unskilled person isn't going to succeed at often, say about 10% of the time. I figure a difficult task could be done successfully about a third of the time by someone descent at it. Even someone who's an expert should still fail about a third the time.

Remove ads