• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Item Creation feat should I pick?

Psifon

First Post
I am building an Archmage, Harper Mage, and I plan on only taking two Item creation feats. I have already chosen Craft Wondrous Item (a no-brainer), and I am now torn on my other options. The choices I am split on are:

Craft wand-fairly mundane, but highly usefull for haste, improved invisibility and dimension door (and one or two other spells).

Craft Ring - Less versitile, but some of the most powerfull items in the game, including spell storing, evasion and a few other sweet items (no my DM will not let me duplicate the effects of these items with wonderous items, he's a better DM than that)

Craft Rod - Again, some of the most powerfull items in the game, especially the metamagic rods.

I am open to other suggestions, but which would you pick and why?

Orco42

First Post
I'd would not go for a ring because any power of a ring can be put into a wonderous item for the same price.

Of course you can say that for wand or rod.

I'd choose arms and armour.

Crothian

First Post
Personally, unless you are set for some reaon on two item creations, I'd just go with the one. I've found meta magic feats much more useful then item creation. And unless you want magical weapons and armor, wondrous item can do anything the others can do.

Ziggy

First Post
Arms and armor is good, it saves a lot of money for the party, and enables you to make just the right combinations for weapons.

Of course it won't help your wizard much, but it's great in a cooperative campaign.

.Ziggy

Darkness8Me

First Post
I'd take Craft Wand.

Craft Wonderous Item has the most options available, and is (IMO) the best choice.

Craft Ring is nice, but often wonderous items can be made to perform the same function.

Craft Wands is the cheapest way to boost you firepower and versatility (cheaper per use cost than scrolls).

Last edited:

Never underestimate the Value of a Wand of Shield, especially if you are in a team with bards or rogues :)

(Or a Wand of Cure Light/Moderate you might together with your Cleric)

Craft Wonderous and Empower spell. Scribe Scroll if you dont have that, dunno if you are a sorcerer or not. Anything else is juat a waste since you'll hardly ever use it, but if you must Craft Arms and Armor. Your buddies and you having exactlly the weapon they need for the job can be very powerfull. And slap some magic-upped mithril chain on yourself.

Psifon

First Post
Yes I am a wizard, so I can scribe scrolls.

We have a cleric in the party who can craft arms and armor, so I'm staying away from that one.

It sure looks like craft wands is the favorate. The one disadvantage of craft wand is that it doesn't give you any abilities you don't already have. On the other hand it does let you cast the spell as if you were a sorcerer, so that IS a big benefit.

Are there any specific magic items you would make with these three feats that gives you a capability that you can't get any other way, and that really rock?

Thanks for the replies, keep 'um comming!

Dimwhit

Explorer
Craft Wand, definitely. I just think of the guy we just went up against (in one of the Wizard's modules) that pelted us with wands of Magic Missiles and Lightning Bolt. Nailed us a ton of times (with the help of Improved Invisibility) without having to deplete any of his daily spells.

Remove ads