• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Item is this?

ChiefAaron

First Post
My GM describes it as a "sexy sailor suit." It is some type of armor that when worn causes the wearer to believe they look gorgeous, yet everyone sees them in rags. Clearly some kind of charmed armor because I'm constantly making WILL saves.

Any ideas what armor this might be? I know it's not much to go on but my curiosity is killing me. BTW, "sexy sailor suit" isn't the name of the armor. LOL

ChiefAaron

First Post
I've been assured it is real. That was my initial thought too. Haha. Her husband has been playing a lot longer than I have and he knew what it was but won't tell me. Bah.

Jimlock

Adventurer
My GM describes it as a "sexy sailor suit."

sailorblues-r.jpg

Greenfield

Adventurer
I seem to recall a cursed item, a Ring of Delusion or some such that worked like that. It appears to the wearer to have wonderful powers, but they're all false.

This looks like a variation on that theme.
<EDIT>
Yep, here you go.
SRD said:
CURSED ITEMS
Cursed items are magic items with some sort of potentially negative impact. Sometimes they’re directly bad for the user;
sometimes they’re just inconvenient. Occasionally they mix bad with good, forcing characters to make difficult choices.
Cursed Item Common Curses
d% Curse
01–15 Delusion
16–35 Opposite effect or target
36–45 Intermittent functioning
46–60 Requirement
61–75 Drawback
76–90 Completely different effect
91–100 Substitute specific cursed item

Delusion: The user believes the item is what it appears to be, yet it actually has no magical power other than to deceive. Theuser is mentally fooled into thinking the item is functioning and cannot be convinced otherwise without the help of a remove
curse spell.
So yeah, it's an item cursed with the extremely standard Delusion effect, right out of the DMG/SRD
</EDIT>

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
FYI, DMs often lie as do their spouses. Just because the DM has assured you it is "real" as in, it exists in a book somewhere and the DM is using it exactly the way it is written, doesn't mean that is the case. It also doesn't matter if her husband claims to know what it is. It is possible he helped her come up with the idea or she simply explained to him at some point what the item does. He probably isn't saying anything because he's trying to stay in-character. He may have also just seen something like the item in question before and is backing up his wife because he is playing the good husband; Lord knows how many magical items have been written up for D&D over the years. The possible explanations that include deception on part of either the DM or her husband endless. They are also irrelevant. As Greenfield has pointed out a cursed item with a nature like this is pretty standard faire.

Remove ads