• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What keeps you from going to GenCon?

Why aren't you going to GenCon this year?

• Costs too much: I can't afford it.

Votes: 145 35.8%
  • Costs too much: I don't think it is worth it.

Votes: 56 13.8%
  • My SO would never let me out of the house that long

Votes: 29 7.2%
  • I can't get the time off of work (or too much work to do)

Votes: 107 26.4%
  • I don't like gaming conventions

Votes: 26 6.4%
  • It's too far for me to travel

Votes: 172 42.5%
  • Some obligation came up that takes precedence (family reunion, some other entertainment, etc.)

Votes: 35 8.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 35 8.6%
  • Why I am going to GenCon; I just want to see the poll results!

Votes: 58 14.3%

• Poll closed .

ThirdWizard

First Post
In additoin to money and distance: I have noone to go with me. I don't go to conventions alone. Especially ones that would involve long travel. Long travel + noone else = insanity.

Psion

Adventurer
fredramsey said:
A hole in the backyard is the only true toilet. All later versions are pale imitations of the original.

My hat of toilet paper knows no limit.

YOU KNOW folks, I do work in a room with other people who look at me strange when I burst out in laughter.

:lol:

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
In additoin to money and distance: I have noone to go with me. I don't go to conventions alone. Especially ones that would involve long travel. Long travel + noone else = insanity.

I'm just the opposite. I much prefer to travel alone. Passengers exist to split gas money.

photon1966

First Post
Gen Con Not Going

I have enjoyed the Gen Cons I have been to before. I don't find it all that expensive, as for me it's my one big trip of the year. But this year I have some bills that I need/feel I have to deal with. I was hoping to be in a better position then I am. So though money is my issue it's my lack and not the cost which I have never found to be unreasonable.

I SO enjoyed the dealer room. I would spend WAY too much money on all sorts of stuff. But you find stuff at Gen Con that you'll never see up here in Toronto, Ontario,Canada. All the main books sure I get from my hobby store http://www.thecomicwarehouse.com but odd dice, out of print modules, old magazines, good female minatures that aren't all chest and chainmail biknis. Plus I have enjoyed gaming with different people as I tend to run rather then play so a great break. Plus one year I ran three adventures, fantasy Hero, Rune Quest and Vampire the Masqurade. That was alot of work but I had great time and met nice people.

Now that I am on line more it would be kewl to meet up with people I have only interacted with virtually. But alas that will have to wait till next year.

Nice chatting

Dave

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Benefit/Cost ratio too low.

Used to go when it was in Milwaukee because...

a) Had H.S. friends there and it was a reunion.

b) FLGS was only access to stuff, chance to see the new toys

c) Gaming was sparse/non existant locally, so it was a chance to game and to some extent get some ideas/comparisons for gaming style

So I haven't been to Indy because...

a) No friends in Indy and although an entourage heads out from Lincoln I can game with these guys all the time

b) Few surprise products at the Cons, or anything worth mentioning will be reviewed on the boards quickly. Can buy nearly anything on the web, anytime. ENWorld.

c) Currently gaming regularly and if the Con falls on a gaming week it's no contest. Get plenty of connection to other gamers/styles online at sites or in MMORPGs.

Arnwyn

First Post
I voted: "Don't like gaming conventions".

Which relates to: "Costs too much: I don't think it is worth it" and that relates to "It's too far for me to travel".

Wombat

First Post
I don't like large crowds very much.

I prefer gaming with my buddies.

Though I am a geek, I can't handle that much concentrated geekiness.

Any of the products that I am really interested in will show up in the stores anyway and I can often get them cheaper; I would rather read a review before I buy a product.

And then there is the cost-to-fun ratio, which ends up being rather low at conventions for me.

OTOH, and this is 100% sarcasm free, I know a LOT of folks have fun there and I hope this is the best year ever for you there!

orchid blossom

Explorer
I used to go to Gen Con when it was still in Milwaukee. It was an easy drive when I lived in Green Bay, and even after I moved to Albany I could go home to visit my family and make a day trip down.

I also don't care for gaming with strangers, (EnWorld gamedays being an exception, they aren't really strangers, after all) and four days is way too much for me. I liked to take one day, do the vendor hall, wander around, meet people. A trip to Indianapolis just for that doesn't make sense for me. And I don't really have any interest in the city, so I couldn't even just make it part of a vacation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads