• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What kind of Pathfinder Psionics would you like to see from Paizo?

What kind of Pathfinder Psionics would you like to see from Paizo?

I voted "no psioncs" because I think the 3.5 version is fine.
I like the 3.5 style of psionics just fine, but I don't think it's very well matched power-wise to Pathfinder. Arguably, it's not even matched all that well power wise to 3.5. I think the psionic classes could use some very minor boosts just to be on par with the regular 3.5 classes. Pathfinder classes next to those psionics classes woule easily be the equivalent of LA +1 or +2 characters.

I've also seen some skills/feats alt.psionics rules that I think are pretty good.

Regarding skill-based spellcasting systems: Well, I don't know how the Star Wars force powers work, but I do know the fiasko that was 3Es Truenamer. Hence I have trouble imagining a functioning, balanced system based on skills.
Force powers in Star Wars work fairly well, but it's not really meant to be compatible with D&D. Something like Green Ronin's Psychic Handbook, updated to Pathfinder, would probably be a better model to follow.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
3.5 system is great, and I'm loving what I'm seeing from Dreamscarred. That's my preference.

The complains about psionics in terms of fluff seem petty at best. Vancian is cribbed from a series of science fiction books, and the general fluff behind Vancian involves using complex formulas and vague references to experimentation and the scientific method to learn new spells.

Psionics is about altering the world with your mind and willpower, but it's declared as being not-fantasy?

Fact is, power points, or magic points, or whatever you want to call it, is more familiar as being fantasy magic then any other system for anyone who isn't intimately used to Vancian. 95% of all fluff-based complaints about psionics come from the fact that it's called "psionics;" if it had any other name, those complaints would be gone.

As for races, I never really got into the psionic races other then Xeph, but it'll be interesting to see how those go since there was a nudge towards removing LA and HD from playable races. As it stands, they definately need a step up - they were somewhat weaker then bog standard humans in 3.5, and they're very much weaker against Pathfinder races.

Walking Dad

First Post
95% of all fluff-based complaints about psionics come from the fact that it's called "psionics;" if it had any other name, those complaints would be gone.

+1. The same people complaining about psionics are often asking for a Spell-point-System (as the one in UA, what was a power points rip-off). But I think that is more a 'perceived crunch' flaw ;).

Fluff many don't like:

- icky epherma stuff

- 'new age' crystal use

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
What if Psionic powers were at-will? It worked for the warlock, and I think that the idea of Psionic characters having a smaller number of powers but being able to use them as much as they want fits them well.

Walking Dad

First Post
What if Psionic powers were at-will? It worked for the warlock, and I think that the idea of Psionic characters having a smaller number of powers but being able to use them as much as they want fits them well.
IMHO, mental/physical strain for using psionic powers are very in theme. May be power points plus the Vitalizing variant (originally for spellpoints, that there a rip-off of power points ;))

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
IMHO, mental/physical strain for using psionic powers are very in theme. May be power points plus the Vitalizing variant (originally for spellpoints, that there a rip-off of power points ;))

Whenever I think of psionics portrayed in movies, books, etc (X-Men, Star Wars, and so forth) they never strain themselves from using their powers *unless* they attempt to do something beyond their normal capabilities. I think it would be cool to have a Psionic system where you can use your powers at-will, or risk fatigue/exhaustion/unconsciousness if you unleash power beyond your level (i.e. burning yourself out from "overchanneling").

Glade Riven

Adventurer
A lot of thoughts involve using alternative systems. Why add complications?
Reflavored the spontanious caster, much as druids and sorcerers are different flavored spontanious casters with some spells that overlap and others that don't. It works with the system that is already in place.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads