• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What kind of setting "fluff" do YOU want to see in an RPG?

Smoss

First Post
While this thread is mostly selfish (Ideas of what to write for my game world's setting that I may have missed), I thought it might be interesting for a lot of people. Basically - When reading about an RPG setting, what do you enjoy reading about? What do you want to see? What kind of juicy details intrigue YOU?

Assume we may have even missed the basics - Such as the setting's name or type of governance for a country... What do information do we need to convey to make you want to use a setting?
------------------------------
Smoss
Doulairen

CarlZog

Explorer
People, politics and culture.

-- Lots of NPCs with some depth and relevance to the setting, but who don't just have individual stereotyped roles to play. Show me all the different kinds of people/beings that populate the setting and how they fit into it.
-- Governance. Who's got power and who wants it? What are the differences between those forces? What's each one's strategy/
-- Culture. What do the people in this setting value? What influences that? What do they dream about? What are they scared of? Why?

These three things are the most important to me, because I think they are the wellspring of adventure ideas. This info tells who the PCs' antagonists are likely to be, what they're trying to accomplish and how/why the PCs will fit into the fray.

What I don't usually need are hundreds of years of blow-by-blow history, or uber-detailed cartography of sprawling hinterlands -- yet many settings (fantasy in particular) seem to focus on it. Occasionally, those features are helpful in answering my questions, but frequently it misses the mark.

Carl

Smoss

First Post
I stole a few of my base ideas from the https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

But mostly I like to know:

Who the people are (General descriptions of what they as a people are like - well tanned? usually yellow eyes? wear only togas? etc)

Government! (Monarchy, Theocracy, etc)

Heraldry - What is a country's symbols?

Major religion(s) - Makes most sense in cleric based settings...

Landmarks - A few major landmarks add spice!

Terrain and natural hazards - Is the area a rocky waste? A desert? tundra? Full of quicksand? Magma? Geysers?

Imports/Exports - Mostly for more political settings. Who does the most mining? farming? Great for trade based plot

"Diplomacy" - AKA who are they are war with? Any treaties or odd alliances? Any embargoes or bans (This can include banning magic as well as trade...)

Organizations - Any major organizations to worry about? The king's personal assassins? The thieves' guild? etc.
------------------------------------
Smoss
Doulairen

Derren

Hero
- Ecomomy (Not in deep, but enough for someone to see how the different cities and countries are interconected

- Government (And a bit more than just saying X is king of Y. The system of government should not just be a snapshot but with lines of successions and ministers)

- History (A history with inventions were one can clearly see how technology and magic progressed and no infinite middle ages)

- Culture (The way people behave, holidays, etc. And most importantly a culture which takes the possibilities of the setting into account. The ability to raise dead people should affect the cultures view of death).

Zelda Themelin

First Post
I dislike word "fluff", so not calling it so would be nice.

Inspiring stuff. I like to read about interesting places, which have adventure potential. And about interesting detail with npc:s that can also create adventure potential. Other things are nice to read sometimes, but often they just are not good literature. And too much stuff always leads to all the boring details.

I set an example here. Scarred lands Gazetter was very interesting (though many later books really sucked). And I really liked monster books and relics and rituals for little stories. Despite rule-issues I really enjoyed reading them.

And then I tried to read Kalamar, and it was total "yawn" experience. Interesting stuff maybe was there buried under everything non-interesting. I just didn't feel like getting A
a shovel.

Many rpg "fluff" books have too long word counts. Leaves lot of room for uninsparing crap IMO.

Lists and pictures would be much better for many things like herandly and to discribe how people of that and that land dress/look. And I really like "family trees" and npc relationship trees there used to be with white wolf o-vampire (like chigaco by night).

Price lists for mundane (and exotic mundane) stuff would be useful to me. Boring to make up, so much more fun to have ready list. Also mercenary prices, travel prices, saleries for mundena jobs and housing prices. I don't know why Golarion has so much stuff but still not htis. Maybe they found it boring to make as well. And I think mundane stuff needed by someone like old-world explorer not by local artisan.

I really hate inventing economics and this is actually improtant thing in games where players ask dm "what I get for this and what this one costs".

Too long describtions only lead to thinly veiled stories about some culture/land here on earth. And thinly veiled source loyality stops from creating most inspiring stuff.

Naturally I can be easily eluded to like even some half-assed "fluff" if it happens to relate to my personal favourite themes.

Anyways I liked those gazetter size books like Scarred lands or old Greyhawk boxed set with those two booklests and world map. Too much "world fluff" ends up easily changing/ruining original theme for world. Since more detali allows writers to put down more of their personal preferance. And then it's hit and miss. When details are still vague, writer leaves more room for my imagination.

Most irritating thing is when there is some mysterious thing in world, and then some time later is written "complite guide to..."-kinda book about it. Speak of ruiting dm:s personal ideas for that mystery/motivation/details. Book like one made to Scarred Lands about Slarecians was exactly like that. Ok, it was still idea-mine worthy, but I ended up ignoring mostly everything. I think bad/ bady written "theme-raping" "fluff" really killed Scarred Lands.

Ah, and I have seen it happen in tv-series too.

"Fluff" should help to play game. It should not make fans angry. And it should not be useless and boring. It should inspire adventures for actual play. It should be enjoyable to read. It should help you put more stuff into your world if you so desire.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
So, if I may, let's see if I can condense what we have so far...

There are, what we'll call, the "General" fluff of the world i.e. Those things that are "a given" to exist in the world. The countries/realms/nations, what and how the people of those lands are and interact (culture, religion, economies).

And then there are the "Specific" fluff i.e. Signifcantly noteworthy NPCs, Areas/Terrains ("Landmarks" as SMoss called it) of certain regions, Plot hooks/adventure opportunities available for a given region.

This is interesting since every DM and player seems to have their own standard as to "How much detail is too much/not enough?" But it seems universally (from the posts thus far) people want both General material and Specific...but not tooooo Specific so as to choke-hold the DM.

A fine line to tread, indeed.

So, what we have for "General fluff":

Government: Seems pretty universally desired. What kind of government it is? Who's ruling it? What is their foreign policy (what nations-and races- get along with whom)?

Economy: This has more requests than I would have expected. As Zelda pointed out, "not fun" to come up with. But, it would add some color to the various nations as well as contributes to the diplomacy/foreign policy issues of what nations get along and why. And (also as Zelda points out) adds the "realism" or what I like to term "internal consistency" of the world as to why item X costs Y in this nation and costs Z in that one...and might not even be even available in nation Q.

Culture: Well, this is the big one, right? Everyone wants this, I think. I can't imagine the detail of a world or country being written without some attention here. This also ties in with SMoss' request for Major Religions: what religions are big in what nations, what religions get along and don't. This is something I spend a good amount of time working out in my "fluff." And whether you involve the gods themselves or just the mortal representatives a, you'll forgive the pun, treasure trove of plot potential! Culture also ties in with economy and the "imports/exports" issue thus what nations (or individual realms) are doing business and which one's aren't...leads to questions (and potential plots) like "Is there a smuggling operation for X? Is there a black market for Y which is allowed in country but its distribution is restricted/outlawed?"

History: Though listed separately, is integrally connected with a realm's Culture. What has happened in that land (or the world in general) that has brought the culture, and thus the people, to where/how they are now. This, like culture, is one I cannot imagine any setting being presented without, though the amount of history/time frame and clarity of that "history" (versus what REALLY happened in the past) is certainly something that can be minimal or completely expansive on the creator's part. I get the feeling that here, people would rather see "major moments", wars, cataclysms, invasions/conquering nations but not necessarily a very detailed document.

I would add "Demographics": Where are all of the monsters coming from? Where do the endless waves of orcs and goblins come from? Are the elves close to the halflings or on the other side of the continent? Is the kingdom of Greatheroking for dwarves only or are there various races of humans within a single realm...are they all at odds even though they inhabit the same country or is it a non-issue? How much racial mixing is there and where? These all lead back to the contribute to the history, the culture, could certainly effect the econonics and even sway governments. I'd say demographic "fluff" is a necessary part of our "General" classification.

For "Specific fluff" we have:

Whether this is NPCs, terrain/landmarks or adventure specific fluff is, just that, specific. Short, sweet and to the point for that particular person or place. Too much and the inspiration and imagination get stifled...this again dances on the fine line.

NPCs: Curiously, CarlZog is the only one to mention this, but it seems like an unquestionable necessity. If nothing else, the major players of the world- rulers, heads of temples/powerful clerics/religious figures, major or unique magical figures or creatures, major heroic figures, major threats/villains. This would be, for me, the bare minimum. A few colorful individuals at various level of the society is always fun too.

Terrain/Landwarks/Location, location, location: Giv'em the plot hooks! Where are they finding their treasure? Where is the cult of Bigbaduns originating? Where are the lost Wutchacallzits of Chimchimchiree? This is all relavent fluff. You can't, obviously, let the players know this! But you, the DM, the world creator should have SOME of this kind of information at your fingers for those times you just don't feel like coming up with stuff on your own...or want to mine ideas from the world. I'm not saying every last piece of treasure or magic item in the world, but a few major items/legends should be present in pretty much every distinct area/nation/realm of a world.

How does all that sound for everybody?

--Steel Dragons

Last edited:

steenan

Adventurer
I homebrew and improvise a lot. For this reason, most detailed setting information is worse than useless for me - not only I won't use it, I will also contradict it quite often and confuse players who read the setting book.

I don't need more than one, general map. I don't need demographics. I don't need cities, towns and vilages described with NPCs who live there. I don't need detailed history and structure of each power group.

What I need is inspiration. From all the setting data, give me only the interesting parts - I will fill the blanks myself. I need numbers, positions and names much less than the general feeling of the setting as a whole, of various regions and places, of various cultures.

I approach race descriptions in a similar way. I prefer two paragraphs that describe how to play the race and what's interesting in its culture to detailed descriptions of history and geopolitics (and the mandatory blurb about "how awesome this race is" that contradicts its mechanics).

I also like to have a lot of art in setting books. Not random art, not heroes in dramatic poses. Art that is coherent in style and that shows what is described in text. Show me this monster, show me this city, show me the Emperor's throne room and his masked royal guard. A picture is worth a thousand words.

What does it look like? If I visited for the first time and looked around, what would I see? What sort of buildings, what sort of environment, what sorts of clothing?

How do people live? Normal people, not adventurers. What do they admire, what do they dislike, what do they aspire to? What sort of things do they find unusual?

And I like a map which doesn't make me grind my geologist's teeth together, as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads