• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What language?

The Thoqqua (medium sized, earth/fire elemental) from MM1, would speak what language/s?

I believe ignan is the language spoken by denizens of the elemental plane of fire, and terran is that spoken by those of the elemental plane of earth.

The Thoqqua has an 'int' of 6, so it's not terribly bright, and seems to me to be pretty much a worm that eats its way through rock by melting it.

The reason I ask is because a player in a campaign I currently DM wishes to summon monster one of these critters, give it a task to do etc... Summon monster details that unless the action is attack the nearest foe you must be able to communicate with it to direct it's actions. (communication being 2 way I assume)

Lifebane Soulshadow *

dcollins

Explorer
If you have to pick one, I'd pick Terran. Its natural habitat is that it "burrows through rock looking for minerals to eat". In the current Manual of the Planes they're listed as grouped 1d8 in Earth and only 1d6 in Fire.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Although there is no mention in the descriptive text about languages spoken, since the thoqqua is both a fire and an earth elemental, why not just give it both languages? There are creatures with low int scores that can speak multiple languages, IIRC...

Maitre D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads