• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What languages do you speak?

danzig138

Explorer
1.) USA. Oklahoma, Oklahoma City

2.) Okie. Derivitive of English/American.

3.) I know a few words in French, Japanese, and Spanish. I used to know more, but the was 15-18 years ago in school.

4.) Halfway decent in Okie. Practically non-existant in others.

5.) Okie.

6.) English/America, and it is close enough:D

7.) The closest GS is about a mile away or so, but I don't care for it much. So far, they have yet to have anything that I've looked for, so when I can, I go to a GS that is about 15-20 miles away.

1.) Where do you live? (Country, community, etc. at whatever level of disclosure you feel comfortable.)

Silicon Valley, California

2.) What is the primary language in your area? (...and is it a notably different dialect than its original?)

English

3.) What languages do you speak? (...and dialect if appropriate, please)

English, Mandarin Chinese, Fujian Chinese, Japanese, Malay, French.

4.) At what level of competency? (...if other than your primary language.)

Fluent in the first 3 (i.e., read, write at newspaper level). Enough to get by in Japanese, barely comprehensible in Malay and French (i.e., traveller's survival)

5.) What language do you use at the gaming table? (...or in online games?)

English

6.) In what language are the gaming materials you use? (...and is it the language you prefer to use for gaming?)

English, and English.

7.) How well serviced is the area in which you live in regard to gaming materials? (Miles/Kilometers to the nearest game store, what materials do they carry, etc.)

Very well, but I don't visit game stores (terrible environment, in my experience --- just like I don't visit comic stores). Amazon.com and Buy.com are my favorite game stores.

1.) Where do you live? (Country, community, etc. at whatever level of disclosure you feel comfortable.)

Jerusalem, Israel

2.) What is the primary language in your area? (...and is it a notably different dialect than its original?)

Hebrew. There are also some English speaking people in the neighberhood, and several that speak only Russian. In some parts of Jerusalem the common language would be Yiddish or Arabic - but not in my vicinity.

Hebrew, with the standard "ashcenasi" accent (as opposed to the Oriental accent or ancient accents, for those in the know).
I also speak English, with a slight Canadian accent intermixed with a heavy dose of "israeli accent" - more like butchery of the english language than an actual accent, that one.

I am pretty fluent in english, even though I was told by a british girl once she couldn't understand a word I said... than again, I spent a month of so in Britain with no problem...

A mixture of English and Hebrew. We switch back and forth. All the terms are in english, and some of the dialog - particularly discriptions - as we find it more dramatic. We revert back to Hebrew when things are too hectic, when we are having problems articulating outselfs, or sometimes for no apparant reason.

6.) In what language are the gaming materials you use? (...and is it the language you prefer to use for gaming?)

English, only English. And I definitely like it that way.

7.) How well serviced is the area in which you live in regard to gaming materials? (Miles/Kilometers to the nearest game store, what materials do they carry, etc.)

Not at all. The "nearest" store is almost the only store - that I know of. It is in Tel Aviv - about an hour and a half away by car. And even they carry only a small selection - D&D core books, a few miniatures and a few accessories/other games. I do most of my buying through Amazon.

chatdemon

First Post
1.) Fort Myers, Florida, USA

2.) American English, with a southern flavor depending on what part of town you're in, a lot of Spanish (Puerto Rican, Mexican) speakers around too.

3.) American English, A tiny bit of Spanish, and I'm pretty up to speed with Aussie and British English slang.

4.) English, native fluent, and I've a more eloquent and diverse vocabulary than about 90% of the people I've ever met. Whether I choose to use it or not is a different story though.

5.) English

6.) English

7.) Less than 5 miles to the local game shop, about the same to Books-A-Million and Waldenbooks, my back up sources.

Yig

First Post
I'll answer this by numbers:

1- Montreal, Qc.

2- French. Quite different from the one from say France tho :)

3- French and English.

4- I undersatnd/read Engligh "perfectly" but I have a some trouble speaking/writing it.

5- French.

6- English for 2 reasons: I don't like how the books are translated and they cost way too much ....

7- Very well serviced. We have a lot of gaming shops.

That's about it.

yig

Staffan

Legend
Mark said:
Växjö, Sweden. That's about 200 km north of Copenhagen, Denmark.

Swedish. No significant dialect.

Swedish and English, with a wee bit of French I learned in school many years ago and have now forgotten most of.

I like to think I'm quite competent in English, at least as far as reading/writing/listening is concerned. I do speak with a noticable accent, and finding the proper word to use can take some time (which isn't noticable when I write).

At the gaming table, we usually use Swedish with a smattering of English for game terms and names. A reverse example would be "... and the wizard casts an Eldklot at that point, for 40 points of damage. Roll a Reflex-Räddningsslag versus SG 19 for half."

When I play online, we use English all the way.

Most of the games I play are in English. There are a few Swedish RPGs, but none of the ones currently on the market appeal to me.

We do have sort of a gaming store here in town, though it's more of a CCG/miniatures/horror action figures/guitar store with a bit of RPG stuff too. Their selection isn't all that good - they carry the Swedish RPGs, and some stuff for D&D and various White Wolf games. Beyond that, they can take special orders for other stuff.

There are also a few mail order stores operating in Sweden. I usually go for either Hobbygames.se or sfbok.se.

Renaissance Man

First Post
Thanks for responding to my thread; permit me to return the favor...
Portland, Maine, USA
English... American English, that is.
English, a smattering of French and Spanish (from my school days).
Ah - poorly. Je parle Francais comme une vache Espanol. Vaya con quesa!
English.
English.
At least four bookstores and/or gaming stores within a 6 mile radius. A nice mix of WotC and d20 materials.

ShaneHenry

First Post
mastermind wrote:

Eh... I might be spelling it wrong.

Færeyjar. Fareoran. Faeroan. Faeroinan????

Islands south-east of Iceland, under danish control, population of 50 000 or so, there was recently found oil there...

Can someone help me on this one.

The U.S. government refers to that 'self-governing overseas administrative division of Denmark' as the 'Faroe Islands', though Merriam-Webster's (the premier dictionary of American English) spells it 'Faeroe Islands', with 'Faroe Islands' being an alternate spelling. Same goes for the word for the language and people of those islands: 'Faroese' or 'Faeroese'. See http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html and www.merriam-webster.com.

[Off-topic, but rpg-relevant note: there's a Faroese musical group that attempts to revive Viking-era music using authentic period instruments (including the the lyre, flute, lure, rebec, shawm, and jew harp). Check 'em out at http://www.krauka.dk/cd_english.htm. Thought this might be good for Norse-flavored campaigns.]

In response to the following question...

...Steven McRownt answered:

Italian, and we don't have dialects here, just loads of different 'accents'

Mama mia! Italian doesn't have dialects?! *Every* language has dialects. While it's true that almost every Italian citizen speaks some form of Standard Italian (or at least a regional version of Standard Italian, which could correctly be referred to as an 'accent' [ie. slight differences in pronunciation, but grammar based on the written standard]), the home speech of many Italians would be considered by linguists to be separate languages (eg. Emiliano-Romagnolo, Ligurian, Piemontese, Venetian, and Sicilian) -- not to mention the entirely non-Italian minority languages native to Italy, such as Albanian, Ladin, Bavarian, Franco-Provençal, the Sardinian languages, and Greek(see .http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=Italy for a full list of the languages of Italy). For a thorough examination of the question of "What is a language?" and "What is the difference between 'dialects' and 'languages'?", see http://www.linguasphere.org/. For those that are interested, both the Linguasphere Register, and the Ethnologue http://www.ethnologue.com/, attempt to list all the languages and dialects of the world (and the Ethnologue has spiffy linguistic maps for many countries as well).

Finally, here's my answers to the original questions:

1. I live in the community of Cardiff-by-the-Sea, City of Encinitas, County of San Diego, State of California, United States of America, Earth,...,Trichiliocosm,..., Kosmos.
2. The primary language of the County of San Diego is English (the prestige dialect is 'General American English'). In the time I've lived here (I'm from the East Coast), I've noticed a few minor localisms, such as 'No Worries!' (='That's OK') and the use of 'canyon' for what I'd call a 'valley'. Some of the rural Anglos speak with a Western American dialect (kinda like cowboys). There are people from every part of the world living in San Diego. The three largest ethnic groups, after non-Hispanic Whites (1.83M), include Mexican Americans (650K), African Americans (160K), and Filipino Americans (130K). A typical 'heritage language' for a member of these communities is likely, respectively, 'Mexican Spanish' (and even a Native American language of Mexico, such as the Zapotec language of one of my co-workers), 'African American English' (ie. 'Ebonics'), and Tagalog (and other languages of the Philipines). I must also note the numerically weak, though culturally vital Native American languages of the county, including Kumiái, Luiseño, and Cupeño.

By the way Mark, I must disagree with the term 'original' in the following question:

What you refer to as the 'original language' should properly be referred to as the 'prestige dialect' or 'standard dialect'. According to linguists, *everyone* speaks a dialect -- it's just that some dialects have social prestige, and some have less prestige, or prestige in only limited circles. Among living dialects of a language, no one dialect can be considered the original or parent dialect, rather, they are all siblings.

3. I speak 'General American English' (learned through mass media, emulation of educated local speakers, and college education), though sometimes with the rapidity of 'Inland Northern American English' (from my Michigan-born dad)...and sometimes with some 'Southern American English' twang thrown in, particularly when I'm uncomfortable (I grew up in West Virginia, with a locally-born mom). (For reference, here's a couple dialect maps of the U.S.: http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atlas/home.html, and http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/1906/dialects.html). I speak some basic Mandarin (one semester intensive study in China), with a Beijing accent. I know the 'rules' for switching from 'Putonghua' (=standard Mandarin of mainland China) to 'Kuo-yu' (=standard Mandarin of Taiwan), so I try to alter my pronunciation depending on where the listener is from. Since moving to California, I've worked in a gas station, and as a produce clerk, so I've learned 'Gas Station-Produce Clerk Spanish' (including numbers, 'the bathroom is outside', 'the bathroom is occupied', 'here is the key for the bathroom', 'onion', 'cilantro', 'apple', and other useful speech). I also know how to count to ten in a lot of languages. Oh, and some Quenya, Sindarin, and Black Speech :).
4. For degree of fluency see my preceding answer.
5. I've only gamed in General American English. Though some of the local gamers speak Navy/Marine Corps English (ie. American English with a lot of military jargon) ;) .
6. The game materials I own are in English (most being in American English, though some classics written in British English, such as B10: Night's Dark Terror). I prefer English-language materials only to the degree I am unable to speak other languages. However, I have theory that nations whose soldiers play Dungeons & Dragons don't go to war with one another. So translating rpg rules and settings into other languages might contribute to world peace :) . Another idea I had was to make culturally-relevant rpgs specifically for speakers and learners of endangered languages. For example, I imagine a d20 or OGL 'Cherokee Adventures' as a game setting (perhaps with Historical, Legendary, and Fantasy campaign options), with the books printed in both the Cherokee and English languages. Something like 'Oriental Adventures' or the upcoming 'African Adventures', but less syncretic. There are a lot of ways one could go about this. I read in an interview that Dave Arneson advocates using rpgs in the classroom, so I'm not alone in this desire.
7. The San Diego area is very well served. Game Empire is fully stocked, and only twenty miles away. There's also a WotC store, a Game Keeper, and an independent store (Game Cove) in a similar radius (though it's too bad Thrill Books in Encinitas went under).

If I spoke another language fluently, I'd love to help you translate.

Shane

Derren

Hero
1.) Aalen, south Germany (Baden Würtenberg)
2.) What do you think? German, of course.
3+4.) German, mostly dialect free, english average to good with heavy accent and some words french with almost no grammar. (I hate this language)
5.) Mix between german and english (for gamie mechanics/names), because we have mostly english rulebooks and don´t want to translate. (German translations often sound horrible)
6.) We use mostly english materials. No problem for me, I prefer english over german, but the others want more german books. Because transated gaming material is only availiable afer a long waiting time we keep to english books. We still wait for teh translatet DMG. The only german bokks we own is the PHB, which I have won in a quiz. (But we hav the english version, too)
7.) Nearly non-existent. No RPG stores in the area I know of. 1 toy store here has german rpgs (DSA). I mostly get books from a gaming store in north germany (website). Or you can ask local bookstores to order gaming books.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads