• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What level do you generally start your campaigns at?

What level do you generally start your campaigns at?

• 1st

Votes: 94 61.0%
  • 2nd

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • 3rd

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • 4th

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • 5th

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • 6th

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 7th-9th

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 10-12th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13th-15th

• 16th-18th

• 19th or higher

• Whatever level the players want to start out at

Votes: 4 2.6%

haiiro

First Post
Thanks to all who have responded so far. :)

For those who start their games at 1st level: how do you handle ECL +x races? Or is not having to handle them part of the appeal of starting at 1st level?

Jenale

First Post
1st level--I think that there's a tendency to miss out on character development by jumping in as established adventurers (ie, higher than 1st level). I like seeing the characters develop through the events that I throw at them, and it seems like the events I throw in at lower levels make deeper marks on the character than at higher. (In my game, we started at 1st level. Characters are now 2nd and 3rd, with one PC edging closer to 4th. The ones who are still 2nd are on the high side of halfway to 3rd.

Gizzard

First Post
For cross-reference, heres an older poll I did which asked where people's current campaign started and what level they are now.

Character Level Poll

You can derive some similar data from it, but I am glad you asked this specific question -- I really wished I had differentiated "Low Level (1st-6th)" a little more.

BTW, I have 191 votes in that poll, so I only need 9 more to break 200. ;-)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads