• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What level have you achieved in a 4E campaign?

What level has your group or your character achieved in an ongoing 4E campaign?

• H1 - levels 1-3

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • H2 - levels 4-7

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • H3 - levels 8-10

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • P1 - levels 11-13

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • P2 - levels 14-17

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • P3 - levels 18-20

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • E1 - levels 21-23

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • E2 - levels 24-27

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • E3 - levels 28-30

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Have not participated in an ongoing 4E game

Votes: 3 2.5%

fjw70

Adventurer
In my only 4e campaign (I was the DM) we got to 8th before most of the group decided they didn't really like 4e (I was one of the few that did like it).

mac1504

Explorer
Our group is two sessions into E1, has just made 21st level, and we started at H1 in June of 2008. We have lost many characters along the way; the oldest (still living) PC originated during the party's time in H3: Pyramid of Shadows. The majority (6 PCs in all) arrived during P1: Trollhaunt Warrens. We average about 1.5 games a month, and are heading into our 41st session tomorrow night. Most of our sessions are either 6-7 hour lengths when played on a Friday night, or 8-9 hours on a Saturday afternoon (much less frequently, however). We get through roughly 3-5 encounters a session.

I'm planning on streamlining the Epic tier (probably down to about a third of the encounters) as we are eager to move on to a Dark Sun campaign under a new DM. I am certainly looking forward to a break from behind the screen. DM'ing 4e has probably been one of the most enjoyable experiences in my 20 some years of DM'ing.

Quickleaf

Legend
I DMed a large group from 1st to 10th level in about 9 months (a college year) with two sessions per month plus a D&D weekend retreat of gaming bliss.

Dice4Hire

First Post
My group's best was about 24, working through H123, P123 and then E12 before we gave it up. We just could not take the AP any more. We are doing Darksun now and I hope to hit 30th, but we are doing a lot faster leveling.

pweent

Explorer
We converted our pre-existing 3e campaign to 4e in Feb. '09 with the characters at 14th (4e) level. Last night they made level 27.

At epic tier, I'm doing a fair bit of lowering hit points and raising damage, especially for solo and elite creatures (which there are a lot of when converting adventures designed for 3e), but it's working out well. Last night's fight against one elder/ancient red dragon supported by two adult blues lived up to the Epic label, highlighted by our Orien Swiftblade fighter teleporting out into midair over a 1,000 foot fall, killing a flying blue dragon, and teleporting back onto solid footing to attack the ancient red before the blue had even begun to fall.

mac1504

Explorer
2 levels/session?

My old AD&D=>3.5 PCs would be creating universes for dinner at that rate!

Did you mean to state: 2 sessions/level?

Our level progression wasn't that quick in the beginning, but I really put them on the fastrack since P3: Nightwyrm Fortress (didn't really care for that one, so I shortened it immensely). I have it planned out that we are going to be at about (roughly) 1 level/session until the big showdown in E3. As much as I love 4e, I find that the modules are written with a lot of encounters that just seem meaningless. I've tried to boil down the encounters I run to either story-driving encounters, or encounters that I think will be a lot of fun.

babinro

First Post
My group has always played D&D with an accelerated level progression. Typically about 4 encounters or one small adventure per level. A larger dungeon of 10+ encounters could easily span 3 levels of actual gameplay.

As such, we've run level 1-30 in full, and mulitple shorter games typically levels heroic through to late paragon.

I've been playing 4e about 3 times a month for roughly 5 hour sessions since about three months after its release. So fun!

ffy

First Post
as an update to my previous post: my players are now halfway into level 3.
the group came out of their rolling slump in the most awesome way possible. they were getting quite destroyed in a level 5 end-of-adventure encounter (made for 5 characters, they were missing the wizard so they had 4 characters) until my houseruling of 'you can use all your action points on one turn if you want' came into play. the barbarian who was dying rolled a 20 to wake up, killed the guy who he had taken him out, charged the next target (swift charge), killed it, used an action point to attack the controller next to him, dealt loads of damage, used another action point and used avalanche strike to utterly decimate the target, ending combat.
these moments are what legendary stories are made of. i am so happy i recently started playing d&d, and im happy that my houseruling actually turned into something awesome!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads